I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Install Uni Butt Ferrule
Posted by: Bob Travis (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2011 04:07PM

After 25 yrs I am returning to building my own rods.
My current project is a stand up Tuna rod. Here is my component list.
AFTCO aluminum uni butt
Gator 50-80 lb Mod action blank. (I chunk for Tuna and wanted a Mod action)
Eliminator Roller Guides

My questions
Do you prefer to install the ferrule at the begining of the project or after the roller guides and foregrip are in place? Why?

With a solid glass tip there is back pressure when you install the ferrule. Do you tape the ferrule in place so that it doesn't move while curing?
OR
Do you drill a hole in the ferrule channel to allow air to escape? knowing the hole will fill with cement.

I was going to use mesh drywall tape to get a snung fit and proper alignment with ferrule and rod butt. Any comments on this method?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Install Uni Butt Ferrule
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 14, 2011 04:09PM

Put a small hole in the V-notch of the ferrule. That will keep the ferrule from pushing back off while the epoxy sets. I install the ferrule first, and use it to chuck into the lathe.

If you happen to remove the ferrule lock nut while doing the installation, make darn sure to remember to slip it back on prior to mounting the grip.

Posted by: Bob Travis (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2011 04:18PM

Thanks Tom . . . .thats exactly how I was planning to do the install. I wanted to be sure I was on the right track.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: September 14, 2011 07:16PM

I do both, but I really don't like drilling the ferrule. What I have found is that if you put your arbors on the blank, then cut a channel on both sides of the tape (left and right), the air will escape and no back pressure will be in place. I don't use drywall mesh. In my opinion, masking tape is fine because it will be encapsulated in epoxy and moisture will never reach the tape if done correctly. For a clean look, place the forgrip on first then the ferrule after the grip has dried in place. There is too much excess epoxy when putting on the grip and to stop to wipe it off before you reach the ferrule will result in a difficult to move grip. Also, you can almost guarantee that you will get epoxy on the ferrule nut when you reach the ferrule with the grip.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2011 09:41PM

If installing the grip after the installing the ferrule, I just use plastic wrap and tape up the nut and ferrule. Makes clean up a snap...

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster