I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Color question for Military theme rods
Posted by: Bryce Abbott (---.lightspeed.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 14, 2011 08:01AM

I am working on a fly rod for a retiring Scout Master. I want to use Boy Scout colors in a three color pattern. I have Olive Green and Scarlet Gudebrod size A but I am having trouble finding the third color which should be Khaki. I have Gudebrod Almond and Tan. Almond appears too dark and Tan appears to be too yellow. Does anyone make a Military Khaki color Size A?

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Color question for Military theme rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 14, 2011 01:42PM

Look at some Gold Metal (340) in NCP and see how close you think that is.

Posted by: Bryce Abbott (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: September 14, 2011 03:40PM

Thanks Tom. I ordered some and we will see but it looks real close on the computer screen. I have another question for you while I have your attention. I am real interested in your articles on thread inlays. I notice that when you lay the thread in the ends seem to remain fairly intact and uniform. When I do it, I trim the edges, lay it in and wrap over it. As I pull the tag ends under the overwrap the end of the exposed thread sort of unwinds a little and it does not look good. It flattens out. How do you keep the ends of the thread from looking like they unwinding?

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 14, 2011 07:49PM

If I understand you correctly, I think you can go back to the article and note that I talk about twisting the thread a little at that point - this tightens the end and keeps it from splaying apart. Doesn't take much. Give it a try and see what you think.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster