I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Screw up kinda
Posted by: irving garza (---.static.meriplex.com)
Date: September 13, 2011 09:48AM

So I just finished building the butt section of my 80lb gator glass. From the reel seat down it ended up being a total length of like 23 inches. Which is way to long. Im going to be using a 12/0 on it and need a shorter butt. I know I can cut off the grips but my question is has anyone tried to install a hypalon or eva foam grip from the butt? The size I used has a pretty good size I.D and was very easy to install, considering the O.D of that blank is 1.18" Would it work ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Screw up kinda
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2011 10:01AM

Why not cut the blank with the grips on it and add a butt cap / gimbal to refinish the end? If they are EVA / Hypalon you can sand the end to match the cap / gimbal. A good hacksaw will do the job for you. Wrap the edge with masking tape to keep the cut even.

However to answer your direct question - yes, you can install EVA from the butt end - although you may have to shim the area up next to the reel seat with something like fiberglass tape / epoxy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2011 10:03AM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2011 10:18AM

Irving,
What is the problem with the rod?
Is your butt grip, reel seat and fore grip installed?
Is only your butt grip installed?
Is only your reel seat installed.
What do you want the finished length of the rod to be?

Some choices:
1. If you want the blank to remain the length of the new blank, and your reel seat is in the wrong location, you will need to remove the butt grip, the reel seat and fore grip and start over.
2. If the rod is longer than you want, you can cut off the butt section as much as needed and have the rod be the length that you want it to be.
3. If only the butt grip is too long and if you are willing to live with a shorter rod, then just cut off the butt grip to the length that you need. - I have done this many times. i.e. trim the overall length of a butt grip on a rod, when every thing else was all right on a rod. I have a chop saw with an abrasive wheel on it. Put it on the chop saw base, drop the wheel and a few seconds later the butt grip is the length that I want. I then install a butt cap on the cut end of the rod, using a butt cap that is of the same diameter as the butt of the rod, and of the style that uses a plug that goes up inside the rod blank for a long secure life.

4. If you want to keep the rod the length that it was when the blank was delivered, then you need to cut off the butt grip, the reel seat, and the fore grip. If the items have been installed in the last few days, it is quite simple. Just use a dremel tool with an abrasive wheel on it and perform a cut on the butt grip, the reel seat and for grip down to- but not quite touching the blank, Make the cut, first on one side of the rod , and then on the other side of the rod. Insert a wide blade screwdriver into the cut on the reel seat, twist it and split the reel seat in half. Then, just use a common slip joint pliers around the reel seat to chew off the butt and fore grip. Finally use a heat gun to soften any reside epoxy, and a straight edged razor blade, held at 90 degrees to the butt to scrape any glue, grip or reel seat residue left on the blank. Using the heat gun to soften the fresh epoxy you will be able to have the blank stripped back to its new condition in 5 minutes.

Then, get the grips that you want, the reel seat that you want and start over with everything in their correct position. Since the grips are not cork are quite inexpensive and the reel seat is likely in the less than $10 range, that is what I would do, if I wanted to maintain the rod at its original length.

Good wrapping.
Roger

Date: September 13, 2011 10:21AM

p.s.
Just chalk the event with its time and $$ up to an education as well as the $$ of the replacement parts and move on. Many rods are built multiple times because the builder decides to change something after part or all of the rod has been built.

Take care
Roger

Date: September 13, 2011 10:53AM

Thanks guys. I wouldnt mind cutting it down a bit. My problem was that I did a spit grip and if I cut the bottom grip off and cut the blank it would look weird with just one section of Hypalon and part of the blank exposed. So I guess I will remove the bottom grips and butt cap, cut a section of the blank then try to re install the lower Hypalon. I hope that makes sense.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2011 11:01AM

Irving, this reminds me of one of the first rods I built. I was getting my butt kicked by tarpon my first year fishing Boca Grande and realized it was because the rear grip was too long. You can imagine the looks from all the boats as I sat right there in the pass when I pulled a hand saw from my toolbox and sawed a couple inches off on the spot. Everyone thought I was nuts for taking a saw to the rod. Hooked a fish on the next drift and what a difference, my fight time was shortened big time and it was a lot more comfortable.

There are no rules in rod building, do what works for you, that's the fun in it.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Date: September 13, 2011 11:08AM

Oh im sure im makes a heck of a difference. Great story. Thanks for the advice.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 13, 2011 11:13AM

Irving, there are two ways I know to do it. One involves an air hose and blow guy to expand the hypalon. You try to just get it started over the rear and use the air hose on the end. The other way is to taper something like a wood dowel (or old blank) and have the other end just fit inside the blank.

So yes, it can be done with no problem at all.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 13, 2011 11:32AM

Since the ID of the Hypalon is pretty big, Im just going to use plenty of epoxy to lubricate it and slide it on. We will see how that works.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 13, 2011 12:56PM

You can also taper the butt with sandpaper to help it go over the edge
Test fit before gluing

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 13, 2011 02:21PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can also taper the butt with sandpaper to help
> it go over the edge
> Test fit before gluing

good idea

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 13, 2011 02:55PM

A friend brought (3) rods to me which he wanted shortened from 7’ to 6½’. Ease of handling for his wife and grandsons was the reason.
I removed the butt cap, rear and foregrip, and the reel seat. I sized the new parts to fit over the butt end and slid them onto the rod. I then started building from the butt up. Obviously, all the parts have to be shimmed, except for the butt cap.
A combination of foam shims, fiberglass tape, and thread had all the parts fitting great.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Date: September 13, 2011 05:27PM

Irving,
If you cut off your blank, how much exposed blank will you have?
I am guessing that you have the grip that is right behind your reel seat at the length that you want it.

Can you just put on a very short butt section and have an inch or so between the two butt grip sections? If so, just put on the short rear grip and butt cap and move on.

Roger.

Date: September 14, 2011 09:15AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Irving,
> If you cut off your blank, how much exposed blank
> will you have?
> I am guessing that you have the grip that is right
> behind your reel seat at the length that you want
> it.
>
> Can you just put on a very short butt section and
> have an inch or so between the two butt grip
> sections? If so, just put on the short rear grip
> and butt cap and move on.
>
> Roger.

thats exactly what im going to do

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster