I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Just an silly topic.
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 08:42PM

I have noticed ever since I have started this rod building, and using the epoxy and the Perma Gloss, well, I noticed that at times everything seems to smell like PG or epoxy, lol! maybe its effecting my brains and smell, lol! maybe it is just me, I'm jist wondering if any of you had the same effect. Have a good one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just an silly topic.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2011 08:45PM

PG has a pretty hot solvent in it. Not sure how much you use, but make sure you have adequate ventilation when you do. I doubt a whiff is going to hurt anything, but over time it's certainly not going to improve your health.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 09:09PM

Lorenzo,
Seriously, if you are REALLY having issues like you say; it would be a good idea to be using a rebreather mask when you use these components.

Everyone MAY be allergic to any product.
A product like Perma Gloss, there is more danger than a glue like white glue which has next to no issue at all.

Roger

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 10:41PM

I think it is probably my clothes, that still has the smell from the room that i do the rod building in, I'll just have to change my clothes after I get done with the rod building each time. It isn't serious enough to have to wear a breathing mask, I have pretty good air ventilation in the room. I don't use the PG very much at all maybe when I do the threads on the tip, but thats just like a minute or to, and I hold my breath while I apply it, then I leave the room to get venilated form the open windows and the fan i have with the air filter on it. like I said the smell goes away, after i am out of the room for a awhile.

Posted by: Ian Miller (---.lnk.telstra.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 01:52AM

I would agree that it is likely your clothes. Over many years in this game my wife has complained at times about me 'smelling' of epoxy when coming home from the workshop, and I have always used air extraction in the epoxy room. But it has been more noticable with some epoxies - others are almost undetectable and she doesn't make comment!

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 09, 2011 08:35AM

I know what you are talking about but then again, i have a particular shirt and pair of shorts that i wear each time. you never know when it will end up on you. So I don't have to worry by having a certain set of clothes for it. They came to be these infamous pair of clothes when one day i was applying epoxy, and some of it dripped off my brush and landed on my shorts. I didnt realize that it happened, so when I was leaning forward, my shirt sagged into the epoxy on my pants. LOL!

Gabe

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns13.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 09, 2011 09:23AM

Hi Gabe
I know what your about. A lot of my shorts and tracky pants have got spots of epoxy on them. If you don't get it out before it sets it's there for the life of them. Fortunately I don't have any reactions to the stuff and my wifes never complained of the smell--- yet!!!!

ESFNEMN Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 11:36AM

How many hours do you work in your shop.

Do you desire to build highly sensitive rods?

Do you use Perma Gloss? Do you use two part epoxy that contains amine hardeners? Do you use alcohol? Do you use Acetone? Do you use Tru Oil? Do you know how benzene effects your brain?

Have you ever read any of the MSDS Sheets that are shipped with your products?

[www.dermnetnz.org]

Do you use paper towels to clean up your work?

Do you have a trash container or waste basket nearby?

Is it under the shelf or work bench you work on?

Is there a floor heater for use in cold weather?

Do you have an air conditioner in the area that recirculates air in the room?

In bright light have you ever witnessed tiny multicolored floaters in the air?

How long do you wait before taking out the trash!

Think or you will wind up being sensitized in a way your never expected.

Bob M. shame you never wrote the article for the magazine!

Many would be highly surprised at the statistics and available information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2011 01:02PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 02:22PM

PG is the worst. I use only disposable equipment, when working with it. I make an applicator using foam strips, taped to a paint brush handle. After applying a coat of PG, I dispose of the foam, save the handle. The PG gets poured into an epoxy mixing cup that many of the sposnsor sell (these don't seem to melt int he short time they are being used, although PG will eat through some other plastic containers rather quickly). Clean-up is with paper towels (cut into small strips, so I don't waste paper). Everything gets thrown away after every application. So, yes, I take out the trash 3 or 4 times, over the course of finishing a rod. While it's no substitute for using a re-breather, this procedure does limit my exposure to the PG fumes.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 09, 2011 06:24PM

Regardless of what you figure out the issue to be. make sure you have plenty of ventilation Lorenzo. I used to get horrible headaches when epoxying rods due to wrapping them in a room with no ventilation 'dorm room back in the day' and often wonder if any real damage was done.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2011 09:18AM

Is the idea of breathing chemical fumes a good idea? No,
Is the idea of living a long time a good idea? Yes.

After long talks with my Doctor, he concluded that the evidence is quite clear that if you can smell it, it can likely cause damage to your body.
Repeated exposure to toxic smells will eventually cause an allergic reaction and lead to serious issues.

Over the years, I have spent many many many hours in small work spaces working on a variety of items doing many different things. During these times I would often use chemicals of various natures. Some single part chemicals, some multi part chemicals as well as paints.

As the years have gone by, I have become more and more sensitized to some of the various chemicals that I used to work with every day on a routine basis with no issues.

Now, there is a fairly large variety of chemicals that I can no longer tolerate, touch or breath the fumes of which - without becoming violently ill.

The human body is a wonderful organ. But after continued abuse will finally throw up its hands and say, "Enough already."

This was the same slogan that I saw printed in a paint supply shop.
If you can smell it, it is likely hurting you.

So, to better protect yourself from day to day use of chemicals that have a high evaporation rate and are "smelly" and " possibly toxic", use appropriate ventilation as well as appropriate respiration equipment to prevent body and brain damage.

When you read the safety notices that are released with various products, believe them because they are true.

Protect yourself accordingly.
Many chemicals can be ingested not only into the mouth and nose into your lungs, but also through your skin from simply handling the items with unprotected hands and skin.

If you are wearing appropriate respiration gear so that you can't smell anything, you are likely good to go, as long as your skin is protected from ingesting the items through your skin.

Above all - work smart, and work safely in a dangerous world.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster