I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Seeking teacher / mentor / guide with building rods
Posted by: Mike Dakine (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2011 02:00PM

Are there any builders in the South Jersey area that could give me a hand, or speak, to me about building my first complete rods???

There is 2x blanks I am attempting to custom build. They will both be for tackling primarily the elusive Bluefin Tuna. The jigging blank is rated 400gram. The popping blank is an 8'6" Tuna Sniper OTI blank. I have the materials and some books on rod building but I am not committed to gluing or sanding down anything without first getting some guidance. I feel I do not have a confident grasp on this. Since these rods will be fighting strong brutes of the sea, I can not afford having my equipment fail, which may lead to me getting hurt.

I am not too sure were to begin with the grip, spacers, reel seat, and the various other components. I know this may sound silly, but its a simple,"thats the way to do it" I am looking to hear from someone.

By all means, even if your not in my area, if you want to help a fellow rookie build his first rod please contact me: blue_water_hawaii@hotmail.com

I hope to hear from someone soon and thank you for reading my enquire with any consideration.

Tight Lines and Screaming Reels,
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeking teacher / mentor / guide with building rods
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2011 02:12PM

Whereabout in S. Jersey? I know a couple of builders......... or you might try looking here under "TackleWorks" to the left.

Posted by: Mike Valentine (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2011 09:59PM

Hi Mike, I would be happy to help you with what I can where are you located? I am in Bunea E-mail me at Valentinem7@aol.com , If I can't help you I know just about all of the builders in Southern New Jersey.

Posted by: michael schnoor (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: September 04, 2011 11:27PM

Hey Mike, I felt the same way doing my first few rods. I was actually terrified of doing something wrong; however, mudhole has some great videos up on youtube for rodbuilding, and there are plenty of step by step tutorials on here as well. Don't forget to buy Tom's book, as it was most helpful!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2011 11:38AM

Why not build a lesser rod for your first rod? Maybe an inshore Fluke rod just to get the kinks out. I agree the tuna stuff needs to be right or someone can get hurt. I had a factory rod years ago that the reel seat came loose on an 85 lb Yellow fin, that was not fun. Had to put a harness on the reel to stabilize it but the rod kept wanting to twist out from under the reel. It was early in the fight too. It got real hairy during the end game.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 05, 2011 01:03PM

Frddy, tha thappens with some of the factory jigging blanks. LMAO they pt 2 bands of 1/4" masking tape and barely enough glue to cover them, nothing in the middle. What people spend $400-800 on for a jigging rod is a joke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster