I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Detroit River Jig Rod
Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 29, 2011 05:19PM

Looking to build a rod to vertical jig the Detroit river for a trip this coming spring. I've never fished there but from reading it looks like jigs from 1/2oz to 1oz are quite common in the early season. I was thinking about building a Batson XWS62MXF. But after some looking into the jig weights being used Im wondering if a SJ783 cut down 3" wouldn't be better for the application. I know jigs arent really casted much there but will the Batson work with lure weight that high?
Also as far as guides go, is ice up a issue in the early season? I've built some steelhead rods using janns flexlite guides and they are great to help with ice build up. Would the same type of guide be needed with the cold conditions on the river that time of year?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Detroit River Jig Rod
Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.static.midco.net)
Date: August 29, 2011 05:24PM

I would also look at the HM-HMX-SJ783 or the standard HMX-SJ783. I do alot of jiggin for walleyes and love these blanks for river fishing with heavier jigs. I have yet to try the RX8 walleye jiggin rods yet. There Cranking rods are pretty sweet though.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.35.186.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 29, 2011 06:03PM

I might look at the MHX L844 as opposed to the SJ843 just for the upper end of the lure weight range. Maybe even the 1 of the mag bass blanks if you're looking for something with a faster tip. The MHX MB 844 has a pretty fast tip, very similar to the SJ843, but with a little more power in the butt.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 29, 2011 06:19PM

That's my water!!! 10 minutes away! St Croix 6'3" extra fast SJ is pretty hard to beat. No casting. Straight vertical is the key. Iceing up is not an issue. hen are you coming? First trip here? Check this site out www.dwfonline.com. E-mail me with any questions

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: August 29, 2011 06:27PM

The XWS62MXF measures very close in spec to the St Croix 6'3" extra fast. I like the St. Croix 6' 3" for vertical walleye jigging with up to 1/2 oz, but If it were me on the river using those weights I would go with an XSW68MXF instead. Awesome stick! I am building two as we speak for a client, and I have half a dozen guys that love that rod!

Chuck

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 29, 2011 07:24PM

Also consider the Batson IMB784 or 785 if you want something in a Fast action with lots of backbone.
here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 29, 2011 08:12PM

As stated above, the XSW68MXF gets my vote. That blank is saweet!!

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 29, 2011 10:01PM

Chuck, Not familiar with the XWS62MXF who makes it?

Most popular jig on the DR is 5/8 oz although some go 3/4 or 1 oz. 96% of spring eye's are caught vertical jigging in 10 to 25 FOW. I wouldn't be concerned with butt power that much. You will rarely have a fish on over a minute or so and as good as they taste, they are not much of a fighter. They pull down, you pull up!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 29, 2011 10:31PM

Mike, I think those are the Batson RX8 Walleye series blanks.

Joe

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: August 30, 2011 12:04AM

Mike Barkley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chuck, Not familiar with the XWS62MXF who makes
> it?
>
> Most popular jig on the DR is 5/8 oz although
> some go 3/4 or 1 oz. 96% of spring eye's are
> caught vertical jigging in 10 to 25 FOW. I
> wouldn't be concerned with butt power that much.
> You will rarely have a fish on over a minute or so
> and as good as they taste, they are not much of a
> fighter. They pull down, you pull up!!

Yup, the Batson RX8 walleye series. The XSW62MXF or the St. Croix 63 XF would be okay I guess after getting Mike's angle on the conditions. When I read 1 ounce in your post Mitch I knew I would not want to fish that on my SC4 6' 3" medium. I have gone down to 4# Fireline and it allows me to fish a lighter jig. I still think the XSW68MXF would be good for heavier weights in high current situations.

You're going to want some peanut oil, shore lunch batter and a frying pan as well!

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: August 30, 2011 07:56PM

Yeah, what Mike said.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster