I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How much heat is too much?
Posted by: larry pilgrim (70.41.168.---)
Date: August 27, 2011 04:20PM

I have a question that i am sure has already been answered on here but i can not find it , how much heat would be too much for a blank or a finished rod? T he reason i ask is I always keep my blanks and finished rods in my home because my shop gets very hot in the weather we have been having , and i don't want to take the chance of ruining them but it is a pain to have to store them inside my home. Any ideas out there ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much heat is too much?
Posted by: ofer nadav (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 27, 2011 04:33PM

i do my work in my garage and the temp there is around 80-90 degrees. great for working with epoxy, but i havn't seen any problems with my rods.
taken into consideration that these rods are outdoors, on a boat in the sun, etc. hope this helps a bit..

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2011 04:48PM

You should be safe up to around 220 degrees (F) for a rod blank since oven temps during manufacture are around 250-280 (some times more). Finished rods less if you are using any heat-melt adhesives for tip tops.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2011 06:28PM

Right, it's unlikely anything in the realm of a shop, even without air conditioning, is going to harm your rods. In the back seat of a car, in the sun, for days on end, however, might damage the finish and wraps, but not the blank.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 27, 2011 06:33PM

Care for you equipment is quite important -

Location and method of storage is important -

For bass and inshore rods -

A properly cured graphite blank should have 100 percent recovery if the materials of construction temperature limit is not exceeded.

Do not push your luck!

Glass blanks have a slight loss of recovery which is a function of temperature. If they do take a slight set they can be straightened with care.

Do not prop glass blanks against the wall at an angle for long term storage -

Do not attach a lure to a hook keeper and reel up slack for storage in a boat locker or hot transport vehicle

Store them vertical when possible.

If you boat has storage compartments that hold your rods select the ones with the straightest tubes for the glass or composite rods.

Store them properly and they will reward you by not taking a set that you do not want.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2011 11:21AM

Larry,
You could do some testing for us.

Take an old rod and cut it into pieces that will fit into your oven.

Turn on the heat for a few hours at a time.
Keep increasing the heat, until the rod is destroyed.

Let us know how hot it has to be before the rod fails.

Be safe and stay warm.

Roger

Posted by: chris mani (---.sbr11.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: September 05, 2011 11:34PM

A friend of mine left a (glass) rod locked in his car for security, with a bend in it so it would fit.
It was a hot day, the rod stayed slightly bent permanently.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster