I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ideas for a handle.
Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 23, 2011 01:16AM

Hey guys. Im building a lami triflex, and i wanted to know of any neat ideas for grips on a saltwater rod looking for 13" rear grip 6 or 7 foregrip.

Rear O.D is .53. if any one wants to put together some components and show a pic, get at it. Im open to all ideas, and i wanna make this rod cool and comfortable. really a general question

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ideas for a handle.
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 23, 2011 06:53AM

Spinning or conventional? What power and length?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: August 23, 2011 07:35AM

try a set of abstract grips like billy had in the last issue of
Rodmaker magazine. They are not hard to do and look
really cool.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 23, 2011 09:34AM

Conventional LGC-TXC841M LAMIGLAS 7' 1PC. BLANK 15-30# B.74 T8 BLACK - R4/B26
Bill, I see the stuff billy does all the time at his house, and let me tell you, there is a lot of time put in to those, so idk about how easy they are, especially when you dont have a lathe or bandsaw like little me. lol

Date: August 23, 2011 12:00PM

Gabe, if you want something really sharp you could consider checking with Riley Rods. They will make you a set of carbon fiber grips and/or sell you a kit to make your own. Lamiglas sells Tex tubing if you want to that route.

I did a spinner with amtak's areo seat and carbon tube handle kit and it ain't half bad.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 23, 2011 12:21PM

did that on a spinner and i liked it, just had the idea, but i thought more and thought it would get beat up considering im on the boat all the time and idk how it would look.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 23, 2011 01:24PM

There's almost 4000 pictures of grips and reelseats in the photo section.

Date: August 23, 2011 01:43PM

They claim the carbon grip with permagloss, or 2-part auto clear coat ,is the toughest thing going. Plus they scream custom. Heck my EVA grips get cut up over time. Everything does given enough time. War wounds add character:)

How do you like the blank. The price looks atttractive. Maybe I need one too...LOL.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 23, 2011 03:03PM

thats why i like it. cant go wrong for that cheap. so i wanted to spend some more time on the grip because teh blank was so cheap.

Posted by: Bob Mankin (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: August 24, 2011 12:13AM

You could go west coast style with a tuna cord weave grip. When sealed properly it doesn't get dirty or nasty and it will last as long as any other component on the rod. The simple spiral wrapped cord just doesn't do it for me.

This one was done on a RCLB70XL

[www.mmcustomrods.com]
[www.mmcustomrods.com]

Date: August 24, 2011 09:24AM

If i can learn how, that would be awesome! and that reel seat looks fantastic! do you know the model?

Date: August 24, 2011 10:18AM

Gabe, the seat is an Alps billet trigger you can get from Batson. Available in a few different colors.

Sending you some info on cord weaves in email. Most of the weave patterns illustrated are solid cord grips. You have to improvise a bit to add the seat. I added heatshrink trim and a little finish to trim out where it meets the seat. You could also do turks head knots.

Date: August 24, 2011 10:35AM

Thanks Bob. I appreciate it. the Heat shrink trim is a sweet idea. im familiar with turks heads. looks like ill be busy with cord the next few days. Thanks Bob!

Date: August 24, 2011 12:26PM

Bob If you could just touch base on exactly what kind of cord i should be using. ill be shopping on amazon so if you see any there, let me know. or just an example of what to look for would be fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2011 12:27PM by Gabe Nakash.

Date: August 24, 2011 02:09PM

You can use 1/8" tuna cord, available from a few vendors. 550 paracord is slightly larger, but is another good one with more available colors. I pull the core strands out of the paracord so it ovals when I wind it on and it lays flatter.

Keep in mind you should use a UV resistant finish on whichever cord you ultimate end up with. I like a marine grade varnish.

Here's one I did a couple of weeks ago in a pink camo. It's a ladies rod. Shows the weave in progress. In this one I was using 550 paracord for the main and the smaller tuna cord for the spiral wind. I've also used automotive thread for the sprials if you want something that's more invisible. This was the base for the color theme of the rod which carries through the buttwrap and the guide wraps which have a bright pink in them.

[img641.imageshack.us]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster