I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Little League Ring Inlay
Posted by: Scott Brown (---.sub-75-252-34.myvzw.com)
Date: August 19, 2011 11:57AM

Have not seen this in the photos I browsed through so I decided to try it myself. I am in the process of building a Little League rod and did an inlay with a championship ring in the handle. This is an epoxy inlay using Flexcoat High Build.

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Little League Ring Inlay
Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: August 19, 2011 12:20PM

Hey that is really cool... However I have a question about one of the other rods I saw. It looked to be a blue rod with a pic of a catfish on it... The handle looked like that metal which has the grooves to aid in traction when walking on it.... I cant think of what its called....

What kind of material is that handle made out of.. That is really cool... Also in the middle pic it looks like there is some sort of wrap or something which almost looks marbleized.. but I dont think it is... Its almost a blue pearl swirl look... How was that done..

Awesome rods by the way.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 19, 2011 12:40PM

Casey,
I think you're talking about the diamond plate grip. If so, I know Mudhole has those grips. The wrap you're talking about looks like an abalone inlay.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 19, 2011 12:40PM

Way cool looking rod by the way.

Posted by: Scott Brown (---.sub-75-252-34.myvzw.com)
Date: August 19, 2011 01:05PM

Casey, Matthew is correct those Diamond Plate grips came from Mudhole with an American Tackle AERO Comfort Finish Reel Seat. That is also an Angel Wing Teal Abalone inlay. Thanks for asking!

Date: August 19, 2011 02:15PM

Scott Brown Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Casey, Matthew is correct those Diamond Plate
> grips came from Mudhole with an American Tackle
> AERO Comfort Finish Reel Seat. That is also an
> Angel Wing Teal Abalone inlay. Thanks for asking!

Okay so what is an abalone inlay... It looks awesome!!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 19, 2011 02:25PM

Here check it out [www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 20, 2011 02:25AM

Wow there is soooo much new stuff out there... I cant wait to blow massive amounts of $$ LOL

Posted by: David Norton (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 20, 2011 06:56PM

Scott, that is a way cool lookin inlay of the ring. I have a grandson that I would love to do something like that for him. Great idea.

Dave Norton

Posted by: Scott Brown (---.sub-75-201-230.myvzw.com)
Date: August 20, 2011 08:35PM

Thanks Dave, Wish I could point you to a quick easy way to do the epoxy. I am sure there are other simpler ways but I have not been building rods long and sometimes you just have to go with what you know.

That one was trial and error and I ended up spending about an hour cleaning epoxy off the ring from my first run. It became a mission from that point on because I had not seen one done like that. I ended up slipping the butt on a wooden dowel and turning it just like a rod wrap and adding epoxy what felt like every time I walked by it. I would guess maybe 20 coats as thick as I could get to stay while using a torch to keep the bubbles down. Was a lot like basting I would dip it up and thin it off and repeat until the epoxy got tacky. I do not have the rod blank yet but plan on doing another inlay on it also. I will post Pics in the next few weeks when I get it done.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.pr.navy.mil)
Date: August 21, 2011 02:38AM

That turned out very nice! Awesome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster