I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cracked blank help???
Posted by: Darrell Worley (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: August 16, 2011 05:32PM

Well I've been working on a speckled trout rod . I've put over $50 in material on the handle of a three piece lamiglas 904 { Discontinued blank} . I taped the guides on and went for a test throw . A couple of cast in I heard something strange . I then noticed a crack in the middle section at the bottom of the ferulle about 2 inches the rod goes in a half inch past the crack. I guess my question is Can I save it Or is all the burl cork wasted??I don't know if I could put a security wrap on it or bite the bullet??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cracked blank help???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2011 05:45PM

You stand a reasonable chance of saving it. I assume you mean the crack is in the lower part/edge of the female over-sleeve ferrule.

Mix up some 2-part epoxy and use a toothpick to get some into the crack. Now sever a rubber band and wind it tightly over the ferrule to effect a clamp there. Don't worry - the epoxy will not stick to the rubber band.

Use a cotton swab saturated with alcohol to mop up any epoxy that has squeezed out on the inside of the ferrule. Check this area several times to make sure no epoxy is left on the inside.

Give it a full day or two to fully set and then make a thread reinforcement wrap over the area of the repair.

Date: August 16, 2011 05:53PM

Thank you! That is what I had hoped.. :)

Date: August 16, 2011 06:03PM

one last thought should I wrap the whole two inches or how far ??

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2011 06:20PM

At least just past the forward end of the repair.

Date: August 16, 2011 06:46PM

Thank you !! I've only had a couple of questions in my short time building rods But you have been there very quickly with a response. I can't thank you enough..
Sincerely D.J.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2011 07:08PM

There is another thing that you could consider would be to obtain another similar blank.
Then, if you can match the two upper portions to the blank, you can use your handle and its time and materials with the new blank pieces.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
Another thing to generally do with a new blank is to assemble a multi piece blank and then give it a good flex.

If you want to do this, I will generally do a wrap on each of the upper portions to be sure that you don't split out the upper sections when flexing the blank.

Out of curiosity, did you have the upper sections wrapped in the joint area of the rod before doing your test casting?

I always like to wrap at least 1/2 inch or so in the area of the joint to avoid splitting out at the joint.

Also, for single piece blanks, I always give them a good flex - as much as the rod will ever be flexed in normal use.

If something happens to the blank during this test, I want it to happen then, before I have spent any time or money on the rod.

Date: August 16, 2011 07:16PM

none of the sections was wrapped . I did flex the rod together but not to max it out. When I casted the rod it was with bait sutable for the rod. I probaly should have tested a little futher though..

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns10.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 17, 2011 02:09AM

Hi Darrell,
The end of the crack will be a stress point and may still crack further after the repair. I've fixed a couple with cracks and I drilled a very small hole at the end of the crack. You'll need a magnifying lens to locate it and use the smallest bit you can get ( I used a1mm bit). Take your time and be sure to get right on the end of the crack. Don't use much pressure as those tiny bits are easily broken. Fill the hole with epoxy and wrap over it. The two that I've done like that are still going well, one after almost two years and a couple of good fish.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster