I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2k auto clear as a wrap finish
Posted by: Dean Bledsoe (---.skybest.com)
Date: August 16, 2011 07:25PM

The previous topic got me to thinking. How would a 2k automotive finish work applied to a wrap via spatula or brush work. Today's high solids clears are much thicker than earlier urethane clears. Maybe 4 to 5 coats. It seems like it would hold up almost as well as Permagloss, with a slightly thicker build. UV inhibitors are already in the mix, and it would most likely have more gloss than epoxy. As an added bonus I could force air dry them at work! What about carbon skinned hard core foam grip finish?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2k auto clear as a wrap finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2011 07:48PM

Sounds like a lot of trouble to go to in order to get something "almost as good" as what you can obtain now with easier methods.

However, the only way to really find out is to try it. If you decide to pursue it, let us know how it turns out.

Date: August 16, 2011 08:28PM

No trouble at all if you paint cars for a living. I mix approx. 6 qts of clear(4 to 6 spot jobs) daily. Add a coat to my rod wraps while in the booth. Just a thought. Thanks for your input, might just give it a try.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2011 09:38PM

I was thinking the same thing about PlastiKote because it's so thick, flexible and UV protected. It holds up on car bumpers. I know that from experience. Not sure how scratch resistant it is though, or even if it would work over thread for that matter.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: August 16, 2011 10:39PM

UV protected? From structural degradation or from turning yellow?

Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: August 16, 2011 10:48PM

I have a hard time believing that auto clear is not already better than any rod coating on the market. The reason I say this is because the paint companies spend major money on R&D to design the longest lasting, best adhering, most chip resistant etc etc paints.

In my opinion an auto finish takes WAY more abuse than a typical fishing rod will ever see. If a vehicle isn't being hit by rocks its being hit with acid rain, if not that its salt from the roads, if not that its hour upon hour of direct sun exposure. However take it to the car wash and everything looks new again...

Now there may be an issue with the clear not being thick enough to cover wraps with im not sure.

Posted by: Chris Sadler (---.static.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: August 17, 2011 07:10AM

I use my automotive paint equip to final coat my carbon skinned grips after I have put a coat of epoxy then sanded, works really nice

Posted by: mark crouse (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: August 17, 2011 08:27AM

the rod I posted from the German rod Rod Builder, is done with 2K from Mippa, it is Scratch Resistant and UV protected, he sprays it on.
Mippa is a New Company located in Southern Germany with Dealers in the US. I ordered a Quart included the Hardener it was around 40 Dollars.
Mark

Date: August 17, 2011 09:28AM

Casey,

Automotive type 2-part urethanes are indeed excellent coatings and work great as a blank coating. The problem is that for most people they're not user friendly. By that I mean most rod builders do not possess the equipment for spraying them nor have the devices to protect their lungs or homes from the overspray and vapors.

The companies that make and supply our rod building epoxies also spend a great deal of money on R&D, and they have to take into account the average consumer that they expect to be using their product. This is why they don't offer 2-part urethanes for the home rod builder. They produce and sell what they feel is easy and appropriate for the intended user.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 17, 2011 09:52AM

I am not up to speed on any of the new auto finishes but I understand that a lot are now making Water based finishes and clears Check on it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 17, 2011 11:04AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Casey,
>
> Automotive type 2-part urethanes are indeed
> excellent coatings and work great as a blank
> coating. The problem is that for most people
> they're not user friendly. By that I mean most rod
> builders do not possess the equipment for spraying
> them nor have the devices to protect their lungs
> or homes from the overspray and vapors.
>
> The companies that make and supply our rod
> building epoxies also spend a great deal of money
> on R&D, and they have to take into account the
> average consumer that they expect to be using
> their product. This is why they don't offer 2-part
> urethanes for the home rod builder. They produce
> and sell what they feel is easy and appropriate
> for the intended user.
>
> .................

You are totally correct....If you don't have the equipment then auto coatings are definitely not the way to go. I sometimes forget not everyone has access to the equip.

However with that said, I will say that if someone wants to try automotive coatings you could and it wont totally break the bank. If you are looking to only coat rod blanks you don't need a very big compressor, and surely dont need the best gun out there. You should be able to find a smaller portable compressor on craigslist for around the 50.00 mark. Then run to harbor freight for a small detail gun, respirator, and regulator/filter. That shouldnt cost more than 50.00 or so. I think you could get setup if you look around for deals for under 100.00.

Now the initial materials cost might be a little steep as you need the paint, reducers, clear, activator, etc etc... but you should be able to coat MANY MANY blanks with that setup...

One of these days im gonna try brushing one of the high solid clears. im curious how it would lay out.

I have not tried the new water based auto coatings.... I know thats the future and where the industry is headed

Date: August 17, 2011 11:07AM

Chris Sadler Wrote:
> I use my automotive paint equip to final coat my
> carbon skinned grips after I have put a coat of
> epoxy then sanded, works really nice

Do you have any pics of your grips... I have been thinking about doing something very similar

Thanks

Date: August 20, 2011 03:40PM

Just a thought. Bill, the new waterborne paint systems are taking over. However, its just the basecoat that is waterborne for now. Your typical sealer has very little reducer added, and most the new high solids clears don't require any reducer just hardner. Basecoats typically mix 1:1 with reducer, making it the most VOC rich part of the process. New clears are in the testing stage, but there is already issues with dry times being to long with waterborne base. I may have to try this one for myself.

Date: August 20, 2011 04:36PM

Actually PPG has a line of clear in their envirobase system which is waterborne... I think its something like EC700 or 750... I havent used it but its something to think about....

I was under the impression that any water based color required a water based clear... but ive been known to be wrong.

I dont personally think that I would trust any system which used a water based color with a solvent based clear.... I just cant see it bonding correctly... but thats just my opinion

Date: August 20, 2011 06:37PM

Casey I live on the east coast, therefore I'm a little behind on VOC oriented products. Solvent based clear over waterborne works fine, however it's the long dry time that stinks. You have to make absolute sure your base is dry, because if you don't your in for a long night. Haven't used the EC700 or 750, but it isn't a waterborne clear. It's made to topcoat waterborne base. Sikkens is working on a true waterborne clear, but so far their best is around 45 min. dust free time in a controlled force air dried environment. As you could imagine a clear that would likely take over an hour to dry dust free in your typical heated booth, might leave you with lots of dirt nibs. We have some people pick their vehicle up in less than an hour after we spray it. Right now waterborne clears exist, but aren't practical for typical shops. Do some research and you will find almost all major car manufactures use waterborne base topcoated with solvent based clear. They also have the advantage to actually "bake" the vehicle without any glass, rubber, or plastic installed. Best we can do is like 20min.@140 F.

Date: August 21, 2011 12:30AM

Well heck you learn something everyday... I would have sworn the 700 stuff was a waterbased clear.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 21, 2011 09:07AM

Thanks for the Education Dean Been out of Auto Body a few years

Got to check and see how small a container I can get on the clears

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 21, 2011 02:07PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
> Thanks for the Education Dean Been out of Auto
> Body a few years
>
> Got to check and see how small a container I can
> get on the clears

If you find a brand that sells clear in something smaller than a quart please post... Im pretty sure PPG, HOK, Matrix, and Doupont only sell in quarts.... Or at least thats all I have seen... I know they typically sell color in a pint but not clear...

Date: August 21, 2011 06:43PM

hey guys you might try a local body shop or paint jobber. they could probably hook you up with the quantity needed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster