I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Repair
Posted by: Tom Loew (---.arvig.net)
Date: August 11, 2011 02:30PM

Hello guys it's ben awhile.
I have a repair question. First, i've never have fixed a broken rod so i have a couple questions.
A friend of mine gave a rod to fixafter he fixed it. The rod broke about 2"off the tip. He super glued a drill bit in it.
A fish was caught and broke the rod splintering the the 2" piece all the way to the tip top.
My questions are how to get the super glued drill bit out of the rod end and can the splintered 2" tip
of the rod be saved?
I hope this makes sence and this is also a 400.00 custom rod.
Thanks bunch
Tom Loew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Repair
Posted by: John Britt (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2011 02:40PM

First I think I would have a few words with the repair person, what he did is totally wrong and caused further damage I doubt at this point the 2" top section can be repaired it might be possible to use a section of blank from a different rod blank use an oversleeve on the rear portion and the 2" tip section, i assume the drill bit is stilled glued into the butt section if so you could try mild heat and tap it out from the rear or if it extends past the blank top pull it out gently with pliers after heating
John

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2011 04:04PM

I don't know how much I would trust that blank with what you have said was done to it. Your talking about a lot of work to "maybe' fix it. If your game I would cut out the bad section and then try what John says and try to fit a piece. I would not get my hopes up by if the fix works then so be it !
My opinion:
Forget it,. God knows what that metal bit did to the structure of the blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2011 04:11PM by Jeff Seabridge.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 11, 2011 04:10PM

Build him another rod Does not sound like any type of repair would be worth it Money wise

If you want to play - have at it A new tip ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2011 05:09PM

It is possible to scarf on a new tip from a piece of new stock. But it's not for amateurs. Ralph O'Quinn has done a few repairs of this nature for friends of mine and all have been very satisfied. You might search for his email address here and see if he's willing to do one for you, or check his repair article in the library here. I think he covered that repair near the end of the article.

Posted by: John Britt (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2011 05:14PM

Tom the more I think about this the more I doubt any kind of tip repair is possible,you fail to state the type of rod and if it is 1 or 2 piece. i believe overall if you can get the drill bit out of the lower section, you might try Acetone the primary ingredient in debonder to remove it I would simply move the guides to reduce the stress on the blank just like building a new rod and put a tip on it, that would be the least expensive way at this point and if the remaining portion of the blank is ok he only looses 2 inches from the tip and at least still has a useable rod
John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2011 05:38PM

Losing 2 inches can make a whale of a difference in action, power, casting, etc. Ralph has performed this repair for several guys I know, scarfing on a completely new couple of inches. The results have been remarkable - none of them can tell any difference from their original rod (unless they look at it).

But I'll grant you it's not for the timid or inexperienced. The selection of a new tip section alone requires very astute judgement.

It may well be toast other than doing what John suggested, or obtaining a new tip section (if it's a 2-piece rod).

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 11, 2011 09:22PM

Tom: You said this was a $400 custom rod, but didn't say what type of rod, or who made the blank. You also didn't say how much use the rod had after the owner glued the drill bit in the tip. Is this a one piece rod or multi piece? What caused the break in the first place? For me, the simplest and best repair for a multi piece name brand blank is: get a replacement section for the rod, and wrap it to match the other sections. My concern is, if the rod originally broke because it was over stressed (casting a weight heavier than it was rated for, or using a line test heavier then the rating), and now you glue a steel drill bit in the tip section, and continue to over stress the rod, you have compounded the problems. The rod will flex different adding stress. The weight of the drill bit in the tip section will add more stress. All of this stress has to go somewhere. I would look for more problems farther down the blank. I don't do many repairs, so all of this just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Tom Loew (---.arvig.net)
Date: August 12, 2011 10:01AM

Sorry guys
The rod is a St.Croix Sling Blade 8'6" 2-6oz 1-piece
Musky fisherman
Thanks
Tom

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2011 07:20PM

Tom,
I would find a piece of blank that matched the original tip.
Then, I would trim the rod back to about there the 3rd or 4th guide from the tip is located.
Then, splice the new tip section back onto the rod.

Knocking off 2 inchs of a sensitive rod- essentially ruins it. Also, it is next to impossible to do a decent repair in that section of the rod.

So, just cut off a large section of the rod, and put back on a tip that has the same tip action as the original.

I just repaired a rod like that last week. The repaired rod has essentially the same action as the original.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Don Morse (99.102.149.---)
Date: August 13, 2011 08:56AM

I am with Roger on this one, I have done the same repair and very happy with the outcome.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 02:18PM

2 inches on a Musky rod, capable of throwing 6 oz. lures...I wouldn't even bother with a splice, at least initially. Cut out the bad section; hot glue a new tip on, and go give it a cast. It might work just fine. If not, you can always try splicing on a new section.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster