I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxing decals?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2011 01:44PM

Is putting the epoxy on length ways, a better way of putting on epoxy on decals? Cause no matter how thin I put it on the way I am doing it, it always comes out like uneven, and it takes me a a lot of time to get it even, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxing decals?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 10, 2011 01:53PM

Try heaver wet coats Then turn 180 take off the drippings Then 180 again Try this turning 4 -6 times then turn on the dryer. Maybe you are not putting on enough

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2011 02:04PM

Thats is the way I had to do it, finally the epoxy got even, I think the end trim wraps are what is causing this, they are higher then the decal, and somehow the epoxy comes of the end trim wrap and piles toward the middle somewhere, but the 180 turn does the trick, Thank you.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sip.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 10, 2011 03:08PM

If you're getting any type of buildup in the middle, you have too much epoxy still on the wrap/decal and need to remove more before leaving to cure. After a while of being frustrated at uneven epoxy I took the "radical" route and decided to just let the liquid do the job it's supposed to...and literally do the job for me. I would just load the wraps up with epoxy. I used a slight bit of excess, but not enough that it would run all over any guide legs if I stopped rotation during application of the guides. When finished applying epoxy to all areas I was working on I simply let the rod sit idle for a minute or two. I let it drip all it wanted. I then took my application apparatus (brush in my case) and literally wiped off any remaining sag on the bottom. I then rotated the rod and let it sag/drip again. After two or three of these short sessions all the excess epoxy had dripped off or been removed. I then placed the rod in the rack and let it turn on the motor until set. Perfect, level finish every time...even on rods that would have an underwrap and two guide wraps. In those cases the underside of the wrap was perfectly level using the method I describe above.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (66.0.6.---)
Date: August 10, 2011 03:24PM

Everyone develops their own way of doing things, but for me, I've always applied epoxy over decals and buttwraps by brushing longitudinally. I picked it up somewhere when I started, maybe from the book Tom wrote. I think it would be very tough to put epoxy on a long area by brushing AROUND the blank.
I used to put too much on and let the excess sag off. After time, and many rods, you get to where you have a feel for how much to put on, and don't have to do this.

Posted by: Scott Brown (---.sub-75-246-17.myvzw.com)
Date: August 10, 2011 08:11PM

I looked through a ton of videos and finally figured out my formula for making the epoxy come out even. Everyone has their own preference but the video on You Tube from Angler’s Envy probably helped me more than anything else: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sip.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 11, 2011 09:33AM

Steve Broadwell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Everyone develops their own way of doing things,...After time, and many rods, you get to where
> you have a feel for how much to put on, and don't
> have to do this (apply more epoxy than is necessary).

You are correct. Over time you develop your own technique. I can put on a small amount of epoxy as well as the next guy, but find that "I" get better results with the method I developed for myself. Whatever works for "you" is the best method. For the OP, below is a link that shows the decal area on a finished rod. Mind you that this is with a decal applied to the blank, trim bands, as well as a guide wrap all finished as a single unit. My method works for me.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2011 09:34AM by Jay Lancaster.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 11, 2011 10:05AM

Also several coats of a light finish may help Gives a little longer drying time to flow out better.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster