I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Micro Spiral Guide Recommendations
Posted by: Christopher Duncan (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 02:31PM

I am wondering what size guides you use when doing a micro spiral? I have done a few with varying sizes, and each had a different feel to them, so I am just wondering what others are using with success or happiness.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Spiral Guide Recommendations
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 03:00PM

here do some reading [rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 09, 2011 03:33PM

I have seen this as a very common response of yours, and to be perfectly honest it seems rather condescending. I was asking opinions of what others were using and what their thoughts were. There is always new blood injected into a forum, so perhaps others have a different view on what they are currently using than others do, or perhaps someone has changed their views after use. I know how a search button works. I am well aware of its location. If you have nothing else to add to this conversation you can take your search response and leave.

Date: August 09, 2011 03:47PM

I do not mean to be --- but a lot come on here and ask what has been asked Many Many times

There is a Search function here that gives a lot of posts and with the right wording you can learn a lot

I have done a lot of research and because of being on here have learned a lot from the many builders here Some of it works for me - some of it does not

many do things one way and many do things another A lot of your questions can be answered --- just do some home work

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 04:33PM

Christopher,

You requested information regarding micro guides for a spiral wrap. Bill took the time to search the forum for you and provide a link to the results. Seems to me like "thank you" may be a better response.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2011 04:35PM by Chad Huderle.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: August 09, 2011 04:38PM

Christopher,

I have gotten general responses and they can be frustrating to say the least, this may help.

I use 6dbl foot, followed by single 5,4,3 and possibly smaller depending on what I am goint to use the rod for and what pound test. I was pointed in this direction by Steve Gardner and never looked back to be honest.

Tom

Date: August 09, 2011 04:46PM

Chad - Took the time to search? He performed a search then copied and pasted the link. The same thing I had done. Had he chose to read further he would have seen not only that I had done some before, but that what he lazily posted was not what I was asking, but instead I wanted input from people currently doing it. I have made numerous posts about a variety of subjects, but after reading the accumulation of topics on this subject, here and other places, I wanted to see what the board members were doing that they liked. More importantly, as I already stated, his response of doing the search then posting the link and telling people to read that comes across as quite condescending. It is not an answer to a question. It is a "I'll show you the haystack, now go find the damn needle".
Bill, you tell me to do my homework. Well guess what, once that is done, where to next? Practical knowledge? Done and done. How about getting opinions after you have used the practical knowledge and the opinions of other that has been directed towards a variety of questions with no answer to yours? Oh, the search button, you say? So this leads back to homework, which leads nowhere once you have searched and read ad nauseum what other people say to others. There is not a compendium of collected anecdotes on this board. There is a search button. And again, pointing someone to the haystack and telling them to hunt for the needle only works so long. There are numerous people on this board who extend a hand to others when it comes to answering questions. Perhaps it is time for Tom to just stick your copy and paste links and call it FAQs that Bill would like you to know? When someone comes to me with a question, I give them an answer. When I can't answer it, I try to find someone who can. You may as well translate "Google it" into "I don't care to answer your question, but I will let others do it and make myself feel helpful, you damn knowledgeless punk."
So many people come to this board because they were directed here by others who found this board. A forum will continue to grow with this kind of neighborly help. A forum will surely die when there is no new knowledge being imparted, and the old knowledge being used not as a reference, but as the only way to do or see things. Perhaps instead of getting upset at the questions people are asking, you should re-evaluate the answers you are giving to their questions.

Date: August 09, 2011 04:49PM

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Christopher,
>
> I have gotten general responses and they can be
> frustrating to say the least, this may help.
>
> I use 6dbl foot, followed by single 5,4,3 and
> possibly smaller depending on what I am goint to
> use the rod for and what pound test. I was pointed
> in this direction by Steve Gardner and never
> looked back to be honest.
>
> Tom

Tom, That is definitely something I was curious about. I have tried an 8 DF, then 5SF, 5SF, 4SF the rest of the way. I also tried 6DF, 5SF, 4SF, 3SF the rest of the way. Each rod had a different feel, but the same blank. I had someone once recommend going no higher than 10DF for the first guide, but that seemed a little odd considering I would end with a 4 or 3 SF.

Date: August 09, 2011 04:56PM

Have you read any of the M & M articles on Micros Buy Steve and many others

Your fingers must hurt No two blanks flex the same

The whole idea is to try what Builders suggest Then test and if it does not do what you want You change the guides The sizes the location . yes it can be a pain -- But you do get better results from your labor

There is so much info here

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 05:06PM

Christopher,

I don't really care what your question was. You asked a question, at this point 78 people have viewed it, only Bill and Thomas provided information. If you attack people who take the time to respond you're not going to get very many people to respond.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: August 09, 2011 05:22PM

Chad

Thank you But maybe I am just a hard A s I shout from the hip

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: August 09, 2011 05:30PM

Christopher,

What are you using the rod for? That plays into what guide I will use and the size ( think flipping).

Tom

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 05:58PM

Christopher, I use a butt guide that is no larger than the level wind guide on the reel & then as small a guide as will pass the terminal tackle to be used all the way to the tip. Smaller equals lighter equals better sensitivity.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 06:28PM

I built my first one this last winter and got a lot of help from this forum, so Christopher, if you want them to baby sit you all the way that is up to them, but I feel you can get all of info yourself as you wrote you have done, thats just how this rod building is, well to me there is enough help and info to get someone the knowledge to build thier own rod, Hope all goes well.

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 08:52PM

Do you guys use DF's for the transition guides. Seems a SF may get beat up pretty bad. I've been thinking about spiral wrapping with micro guides, but just don't think having 3 DF guides then SF's would look good. Also seems the DF's may keep the line off the blank while it is making its way to the bottom of the rod.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 09:53PM

If I spiral wrap I most of the time use 3-4 #6 double foot guides then go to single foot the rest of the way. The number of double foot guides I use all depends on the blank being used. After loading the rod, sometimes I find that it takes an extra guide to make a good transition on the blank. This seems to happen more of the blank flexes further down towards the handle. At least thats my experience so far while working with these micro guides. If I stick with 3 double foot guides, I sometimes have to play with the position of the bumper guide to get it in the best postion.

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 10:00PM

I'm with Chris when I post a question it's nice to get a answer not a point in the general direction. I want to hear different opinions not hours of pointless reading. I don't have the time to go thrw every post about a subject. Someone who has more step by step questions on here in the past few months shouldnt be talking about baby sitting. jmho...

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 10, 2011 07:21AM

Chris -
You've posited a good question. As you've already noted - you WILL get different results but those may be based on the rod blank as well as guide sizes. It might be more helpful to you if you gave some info on the blank (or line / wt rating) and length ..... or maybe not. The micro spirals I've done have all been on rods rated 6-12 & 12-20. What I consider is the reel height & width (if known) then choose the type & number of guides. Line / line connections also come into play - but really only on heavier outfits. Normally, for me),this works out to 3 double foot # 6's on the smaller / lighter rods - but I've had to use a double foot 8 as the first guide on one rod due to the reel to be used an old Penn Peerless #9 that rod was not going to be used for casting but drifting. If you keep to the concept of getting the line down close to the blank and keeping it there all should be well.

Date: August 11, 2011 09:09AM

The search here will give you the same and EVEN MORE info.

Your are reading these posts --- why not read the posts of the search Same thing

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: August 11, 2011 10:39AM

Then why haave forum lets just have one big search site. The reason for a forum is to discuss ideas n thoughts of the present noot the past. Not long ago micros was nothing now many builders use them every day. I get were Chris is coming from I just start building less than 3 years ago.

Bill whats your thoughts on spiral wraps. How does your customers like the ones you have built.

I'm planning on building a bb2 as a spiral thats what has my intrest on this thread.

Chris shoot Bill Stevens or Lance a email. The Swampland guy's are very helpfull. They will set you up from start to finish.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster