I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod blank finish
Posted by: Joe Camillo (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 07, 2011 12:59PM

I am looking for a durable finish to be applied to flat black graphite rod blanks. Also, how is it applied. I appreciate any input.
Thanks, Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod blank finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 07, 2011 02:45PM

PermaGloss or Lumaseal. Both are moisture curing urethanes and provide exceptional hardness yet great flexibility, while being very lightweight. Do a search for either for application tips. They are best "wiped" or "swiped" onto the blank rather than being brushed.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 07, 2011 05:34PM

You can also just leave it as is and wrap on it ???

Depending on who made it and if it is a Durable Finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: August 08, 2011 01:52PM

Are you trying to coat the entire rod ????

Posted by: Joe Camillo (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2011 03:03PM

Yes, I want to coat the entire blank. It's already wrapped but I think I can work around that. What I need is the proper application method.

Thanks

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 08, 2011 04:59PM

It'll be much harder to do with the guides in place. Blank refinishing is best done with a naked blank. You can try brushing on urethane, or mask off the guide wraps and use spray urethane (exterior gloss) to the areas you wish to finish.

I assume you know that it is not necessary to apply finish to the rod blank and are only doing this from a personal cosmetic standpoint.

Posted by: Don Slater (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2011 06:26PM

Permagloss, Lumiseal, and other urethanes are besy wiped on thinly.

The best method for doing this is to use a piece of coffee filter and work quickly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster