I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Reviews
Posted by: jon tobey (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: July 30, 2011 02:24PM

Tom, may I humbly suggest a new category?
Blank Reviews.
As an amateur builder I don't have the time or experience to really know what my rod is going to turn out like before I build it. Originally, I started building so that I could have a couple of sweet rods at a fraction of retail. Instead, I have a bunch of rods whose performance I don't like at way over that!
In retrospect I often post looking for a particular blank, and a lot of other people do, too. It would be awesome if we had an area where people built a rod and then reviewed it. Maybe a template that included: Manufacturer, source, type, price, pieces, CC#'s, cost, and then some information about casting performance, quantified if possible. Other people could chime in and I"m sure we could rapidly build a database of sponsors' blanks. It would be a big help to people like me who randomly questing about looking for a rod to suit our purposes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Reviews
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2011 05:31PM

That is the same reason I started building rods, so I can really have nice rods at a lower cost, but it turned out that, I was spending at more then I wanted just getting to learn the craft, now after about 8 rods, I have gotten to where I can build on to my taste, and make it look sweet. and performance is alot better, way better then my first ones, lol! I truly think in the long run it comes out to my advantage, thats if someone really wants to take the time and spend some money on how to build a really nice rod, thanks for the input, it really brought back memories. Have a good one.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2011 05:32PM

And by the way there are lots of really nice rod builders on this forum that can give lots of help, they sure have help me alot, Thanks eveyone that helped!

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 30, 2011 06:14PM

Jon

Since I started building rods about 8-9 years ago, I have realized that you can not build a rod cheaper than a rod bought at a retail store if you are buying components at the retail cost level. The only way you can build rods cheaper is to buy components at the wholesale level, and that takes buying volume, tax nos., etc.

but.............

I have also come to realize that i can build a very much superior fishing rod than any store bought rod - low or high end - for about the same cost as a comparable retail rod. I don't build commercially, but the rods I build for family & friends bring lots of compliments about their overall performance in one way or another. I have only built about 16-18 rods. Many of the first ones not so good, and the last 5 or 6 came out much nicer that I expected. Each of my rod build designs is unique from the last and will be unique from the next! Fit and finish can be as good as you want it to be and will surely can be a much better quality than the "store boughts" after you get a few more builds under your belt.

I just had a post several topics down asking about blank types for a certain fishing technique and got a bunch of helpful replies. Using this forum (and subscribing to RodMaker magazine) has helped my rodbuilding knowledge base and my rodbuilding skills and techniques. The component vendors (forum sponsors) are also more than helpful when asked.

Rog

Date: July 30, 2011 06:44PM

I agree that people are, mostly, helpful. But look at how many posts are about looking for a blank for such-and-such. Wouldn't it be nice that rather than casting it to the winds we could just go and look it up? I'm seriously sick of building rods with little to know idea what I'm going to get when I'm done. The knowledge is obviously here, I'm just asking that we formalize it a little.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2011 07:13PM

You can already do that - just type in the blank and model number of the product you're looking for and if it's ever been discussed here it'll come up for you.

The problem begins when you realize that not everyone will bother to do any such review (and any reviews that are done are purely subjective to begin with). The CCS database was a great idea and while it did see a good bit of data uploaded, it wasn't even 1% of what could have been uploaded if each person had measured and listed each blank they purchased. In the end, such databases are only as good as the information they contain and at the end of the day what you find is that most guys are not going to take the time to publish data or reviews.

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2011 10:21PM

Jon a suggetion for you. I recently made a crankbait rod. I wasn't sure what blank
would be best, I was looking at a Batson and a Castaway, both of which had good reports
on this forum. So what I did was call the sponsor (vendor) in this case Swampland Tackle.
I talked with Lance and he made a recommendation. He was right on.
I did the same on a new MHX blank from Mudhole, again recommendation was right on.
So I would suggest you call the company and ask before purchasing a rod blank if you can't
find comments here.

Date: July 31, 2011 12:32PM

I contacted Mick Batson to see if he has any rods on his blanks, as he is within driving distance. Anybody else around the Seattle area, I'd gladly come visit to test cast rods.

Posted by: Casey Abell (74.134.138.---)
Date: August 01, 2011 10:17PM

I have to admit I also like the idea of a review section. It could be something fairly simple. Kinda like when you search for an item online at the dicks sporting good site... When the item pops up there is always a customer review section.

If the mods could set up something with a majority of the known rod blanks they could possibly award points etc for people who posted a review. Or at least thats the way I have seen it done on other sites for different products.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2011 04:27AM

I find myself questioning why someone would take the advice of someone in an internet forum as opposed to a vendor. After all they get to see all the blanks and it is their best interest to make sure you are pleased.Then there are companies that sell finished rods, as well as blanks, so you can go to a store and see what you think.

I had a post where I just asked guys to mention some of their favorites and there were very few responses.

Besides, what I like might not be to your tastes. Forget about saving money. You will just up-sell yourself. Before long you just have to have NSi this and titanium that.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Casey Abell (74.134.138.---)
Date: August 02, 2011 09:59AM

I agree that the vendor is a great resource but I always like to hear what others have to say about a product. Vendors can sometimes be biased based upon the brands they sell or the profit margin of the product. It never hurts to see what others who have purchased said item have to say about it. I personally wouldnt use either / or as a determination but more of a combination.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 02, 2011 10:17AM

Casey
I think what happens (I know it does to me) is that builders gravitate to makers based on their experience(s) with a blank - which can be based on variables like price break; fit with other components (unibutts, slick butts, guide foot width etc.) I know I have a preference for CalStar for trolling rods although there are certainly other manufacturers who make excellent trolling rod blanks. I'm also used to Batson Enterprises surf rod & steelhead blanks for bank fishermen, MudHole MHX blanks for a variety of spinning and casting rods. So, if I wrote (for example) "The _________ rod blank is far superior" It would be only my opinion. I've had success (and lots of input from outstanding builders) by asking specific questions about the type of fishing / fishing conditions rather than the blank type or manufacturer. Try to include as much information as possible (casting or spinning; line lb test; lure weight range; bank, wading, boat; targeted species). That way I think you'll get a much wider cross section of responses.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 02, 2011 12:45PM

Ditto on what Ken says. You tend to find what works and stick with it. Lamiglas was always king for surf rods in my area. St. Croix and Loomis ruled inshore. Fenwick was big back in the day for trolling rods. I have been out of it for awhile so I'm just getting to know Baston's products. I'm very pleased with what I have tried. Castaway and MHX deserves a favorable mention too. If anything there are too many choices and because of that I think everyone has to offer a good product to compete. Not much of a chance to last if you sell garbage.

To me the real value in building your own is the ability to try blanks intended for a totally different fishing style. A lot of bass guys like inshore popping blanks for example. I'm near miami and wouldn't know a steelhead if it bite me nor a hot shot lure if it snagged me but I sure like hot shot blanks. No way I'd ever see one in a store around here. Musky and backbounce blanks are nice grouper/snapper rods too. So to me you might get more mileage asking about blanks that aren't labeled for your type of fishing but might be superior for it. The average guy never strays that far from the norm.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 03, 2011 01:20AM

Well, for one thing the vendors didn't return my email.
For another they pretty much gotta tell you they have the best thing.
For a third, I did say it would be nice to have a template where it could be quantified as much as possible, and hopefully get multiple opinions about he same blank to help out. I mean, really I trust a custom rod build who is looking for quality, price point, knows how to tailor to a customer, etc at least as much as a vendor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster