I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

3-D box butt wrap
Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-196-189.myvzw.com)
Date: July 27, 2011 09:56AM

I build mainly fly rods in Montana. I really like the 3-D box wrap and am wondering if I can do it small enough to fit a fly rod? Does it have to be on 8 axis or will it work on 4 axis?
Thanks for any help I may get. PS. I work out of state three weeks at at a time and have two weeks before I get home to my shop. I was planing on trying it on some doweling close to the blank diameter which I often do with a wrap I have yet to try. Since I'm in the natural gas field and remote I figured I would ask. I keep a jig here and work on rods in the evening. However, I did not bring my stuff this time (heading to Michigan to pick up my 15 yr. old grandson and bring him to Montana for a couple weeks of fishing and jeeping in the Mountains, He just got his learners permit). Sorry, I can get long winded. Doug

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3-D box butt wrap
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 27, 2011 10:10AM

I think you could do it on a 4 axis with no problems. How big is the diameter? 9mm? It's basically just one color up and the other color down. This is a weave with a box wrap on the right side. It's a small diameter rod.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: July 27, 2011 10:24AM

Thanks, Yea it is small diameter. I don't have it with me but it would be near 9mm. I'm limited on the wraps I can do on fly rods because of the small diameter. . . I miss my days of building in Alaska where I built a lot of Halibut and shark rods. The larger diameter blanks allow for unlimited types of wraps!!! You guys who build them get to have all the fun. LOL!!!

Date: July 27, 2011 10:57AM

This is a spider wrap done on a fly rod with a 9mm diameter. There are several you can do on a small diameter rod. Scales also looks good on fly rods.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: July 27, 2011 11:35AM

Thank you, Somehow I thought a spider wrap would be to large. However yours looks great. One of my greater fatal flaws was my reclusive nature for so many years!!! I would encourage any rod builder new or experienced to be on this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I now realize the restrictions I placed on myself. I read the posts every day and learn a lot. My next step is to start going to gatherings and seminars. There are so many folks willing to help if we only take the first step.

Date: July 27, 2011 11:38AM

You might want to unhide your email and also let people know where you are located. I'm in Ohio and I meet with a group of builders here once a month. It's a lot of fun and learning.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: July 27, 2011 11:48AM

I'll have to figure out how to do that. where do I go in here to accomplish this. I don't see a tab like my profile etc.?

Date: July 27, 2011 11:51AM

Right above your name in the window where you type your post: It says Goto: Forum list, Message list, Search, Control center log out. Go to Control center, it's in there.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: July 27, 2011 12:02PM

Thanks, David, I think I did it. I clicked the box to let viewers see my email. I'm getting old a little harassment will do me good

Date: July 27, 2011 12:05PM

You shouldn't get any junk or spam from here. I never have. It does help though when someone wants to send you info on a project or something instead of using the thread. There are lots of people here willing to help with wraps and and any other stuff you need help with. I also recommend Billy Vivona's book on decorative thread wrapping and Jim Upton's book on Weaving if you ever get into that. Both are indispensable to me.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: July 27, 2011 12:23PM

I have about every book I could find through the years. I got the Visual Wrap but I have a lot of trouble with it (I have no doubt operator error). I've been building for about 18 years now and sell about 4 to 6 rods a month. Those are mainly to people I have built for before and others that have been refereed to me from customers. I'm on an exit plan from my day job. I retired in 03 but got hooked into setting up what I now do, never planned on doing more than a couple of years, been here 5. Once I retire I will advertise in the area a live, Dillon MT. But for now what I do is enough. What this site has done for me has started to expand my interest and knowledge in areas I just had not though about. Unknowingly you guys are creating a monster(per my wife). I'm turning all my own reels seats and cork and wood handles. Once again, SORRY for going on but all the help and information available is like throwing a Mentos( or whatever you call those things) in a liter bottle of soda and watching it blow up!!!! So even a 60 a guy can find himself on information overload. Hey David did my email appear or is it someone looks up??

Date: July 27, 2011 12:42PM

I don't sell near that many. I mainly do it as a hobby but would rather make a little money at it. Yep, I see your e-mail now. It seems that the ones I sell aren't the ones with the fancy wraps and weaves. The guys I have sold to (most anyway) just want good products, built correctly, and out perform big box store rods. I also love to work with the lathe, but I have a lot of learning to do in that area. I've built a few birch bark grips etc. but that's about it. I don't have Vis Wrap but it sounds like a good program. If there's anything I can do to help just shoot me an e-mail. It's not hidden.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-69-98-173.myvzw.com)
Date: July 27, 2011 01:46PM

Thanks for your responses; Talk to you again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster