I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I found this in research for the Microwave Guide topics!
Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2011 12:27PM

Hm,

I was researching the Microwave guides and looking for a video I have seen in some previous research. I came across a new reel design that folks might be interested in for the spinning builds of the future like anything I do not promote this site and I certainly don't endorse it. But I do think this has some application, science and concepts that could be applied to make a great spinning rod with this subject matter I have found. Judge for yourself and see what you all may brainstorm from this idea! Here is the link.

[www.wavespinreel.com]

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2011 12:27PM by Rick Heil.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I found this in research for the Microwave Guide topics!
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 26, 2011 12:41PM

I placed a stocking order at ICASTand they should be in stock by this Thursday. We'll be offering a 20% introductory price for the first week .

Lance

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 26, 2011 02:27PM

I've been using them since ICAST last year, and have 4 other builds that I have done that were sold with them, mine works great and I absolutely love it

Ron Weber

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2011 07:51PM

Wasn't Doug Hannon instrumental in the development of the Microwave guide system?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 27, 2011 11:01AM

There were a few issues that a gentleman I know had with his earlier models. Had something to do with distance casting really deteriorating after the 50-60 yd mark, but they improved the lip and sent him free replacements that helped some. He really likes the ability to unscrew the spool and just dump all his old line in the line recycling box without a mess.

Posted by: steve clark (---.cstel.net)
Date: July 27, 2011 12:47PM

Is it my imagination (usually a LOT more fun than my Reality any more . . . ), or did the guy in the WaveSpin video close the bail by hand after the cast rather than turn the handle . . . ?

– smc –

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 27, 2011 12:59PM

It is said to close buy hand is the better way ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 27, 2011 02:09PM

This is a good video to show operation of a spinning reel. The picture is a little larger. Same technique used in the Wave Spin demo.

Note the position of the index finger while lure is outbound/lure falling - highly skilled bass fisherman use this trim technique to pin point targets. The index finger trim and manual bale close allows steady controlled vertical lure fall for desired duration before bale is closed and drag is operational. Very important for drop shot and shaky head use.

[www.ehow.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 07:51AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2011 02:39PM

Another reason for flipping the bail by hand is that everytime you flip the bail by cranking the handle you make one twist in your line. When you flip it by hand you eliminate that twist.

Lance

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 28, 2011 02:45PM

Actually, when you crank to close the bail on most spinning reels, there is often a loop formed and reeled onto the spool so that on the next cast, that loop creates a birds' nest.

If you close by hand and then pull the line tight to the line roller or raise the rod tip quickly to eliminate slack, the loop and resulting birds' nest is eliminated. I always close by hand.

But the Hannon reel is supposed to catch and hold the loop to prevent bird's nests, it's a different animal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 02:48PM by Gary Snyder.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster