I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Anyone use the MHX rod blanks
Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 27, 2011 10:06AM

Casey -- We do not recomend you cutting the tips of those blanks. I would suggest going with the heavier powered blank instead of cutting the lighter one. As a note, it would void the warranty of the blank by modifying it. Thank You for your interest in the product line of MHX rod blanks. Bill Ballou has also provided a couple of good suggestions in blank models.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 27, 2011 10:22AM

I haven't really been following this thread but, I'll second or third Bob's advice on NOT cutting the blank for several reasons. One of which is the voided warranty and secondly, why would you?
I look at cutting blanks the same as people chipping up trucks. I'm sure the engineers that designed the motor and running gear in my truck are way smarter than I am so why mess with a design that took years to finalize. The same thing with blanks, Bob, Todd, Scott and everybody at MHX are much smarter than I and they know rod blank construction and design. I trust these guys and I know that a lot of work and man hours went into making the MHX line what it is, so why alter it?

My 2 pennies worth anyway.

Posted by: Casey Abell (74.134.138.---)
Date: July 27, 2011 11:04AM

Yeah after thinking about it you are correct. I dont think cutting the blank is a good idea. I didnt think about voiding the warranty not to mention causing stress cracks in the blank..

Anyways decisions decisions.... Heck I may build both and sell one

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: July 27, 2011 12:36PM

Why the interest in the steelhead blanks? Don't get me wrong, they are a wonderful blank. But they push the envelope real hard and would be too fragile for catfish IMHO. You don't buy a porsche for motocross racing:)

If it helps the swim bait blank Bill mentioned is also known as a backbouncing blank and that is a technique for catching steelhead! Save that steelhead blank for when you need to cast the lighest possible lure, that greatest possible distance, and still be able to catch the biggest possible fish.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 28, 2011 10:42AM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why the interest in the steelhead blanks? Don't
> get me wrong, they are a wonderful blank. But
> they push the envelope real hard and would be too
> fragile for catfish IMHO. You don't buy a porsche
> for motocross racing:)
>
> If it helps the swim bait blank Bill mentioned is
> also known as a backbouncing blank and that is a
> technique for catching steelhead! Save that
> steelhead blank for when you need to cast the
> lighest possible lure, that greatest possible
> distance, and still be able to catch the biggest
> possible fish.

Well Im not stuck on any one blank im just trying to find one of the mhx blanks that will work. The rod needs to be very close to that 9' mark. With a fairly fast tip and good backbone. The only ones I saw that met that criteria were the steelhead blanks...

Please explain your comment on the steelhead blanks being fragile. I dont think im following you there.

Currently im using a St.Croix thats a hair over 10' which has worked great for the last 10 years. When I decided to build a new rod I immediatly considered St.Croix but figured with the price point of the mhx rods I would give them a shot. I can buy 3 of them for the cost of 1 St.Croix.

Date: July 28, 2011 01:54PM

IIRC they do intend to offer surf rods in the mhx line soon. Otherwise you could look at their surf rocket series.

Only you can know what you want. When I think of cat fishing I tend to think of a need to throw a decent amount of weight/bait and the need to horse a fish in if required. Those needs wouldn't be line with what a steelhread offers IMHO.

Perhaps fragile was a poor choice and frankly my experience is with a particular type of steelhead rod called a hot shot. I would consider it more suited to fishing open waters with no structure and a finesse style.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: July 28, 2011 07:00PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
> IIRC they do intend to offer surf rods in the mhx
> line soon. Otherwise you could look at their surf
> rocket series.
>
> Only you can know what you want. When I think of
> cat fishing I tend to think of a need to throw a
> decent amount of weight/bait and the need to horse
> a fish in if required. Those needs wouldn't be
> line with what a steelhread offers IMHO.
>
> Perhaps fragile was a poor choice and frankly my
> experience is with a particular type of steelhead
> rod called a hot shot. I would consider it more
> suited to fishing open waters with no structure
> and a finesse style.

Where have you seen the "Rocket Series" you are talking about. I have not seen them.

Thanks

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2011 08:11PM

Mudhole. I hope the link works.

[www.mudhole.com]

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 28, 2011 09:58PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
> Mudhole. I hope the link works.
>
> [www.mudhole.com]
> ustom-Builder-Rod-Blanks/Surf-Rocket-Blanks

Okay I didnt realize they were the mudhole blanks.

Well they do have a few which really seem to be a good fit however they are one piece which I cant have. Would there be a way to cut and make into a 2 piece ???

Also can you fill me in on the difference between the mhx steelhead rod and the mudhole 9' graphite rocket blank? Im really trying to figure what exactly is the big difference here.

Thanks for the help

Date: July 29, 2011 01:14AM

Well now that I have looked a little more into it there may be one rod which fits my needs to a "T"

SSU1082ML
Surf
IM7 Graphite
9'0"
12-20 lb.
3/8 - 2 oz.
Fast
4 3/8 oz.
$122.76

Its 2 pieces, with a fast tip, and is rated for the size line and bait/lure I run. Also appears to be pretty light weight considering the size. Its a little more expensive than the MHX rods but might fit better.

Anyways I would still love to hear a comparison between the mhx and the rocket series.

Date: July 29, 2011 07:28AM

Nothing wrong with the IM6 blanks either and price is in line with mhx. LGSB1081 L or M depending on desired power. Lamiglas has long been "the" name in surf casting blanks. Just ask the guys who surf fish the upper east coast. Even the fiberglass ones are highly thought of.

Just remember, the higher you move up a product line, the lighter and more sensitive the blanks become. On the other hand the more fragile they are and the less tolerant they are of nicks, scratches, and poor fishing technique. Bottom fishing with bait doesn't require the lighest or most sensitive blank in the world. I do a fair share of it for fish like snapper and grouper and typically perfer a composite or lower modulus graphite. Save that fancy stuff for white bass/smallmouth/walleye when you need to feel a 1/16 ounce jig bounce of a rock in sixty feet of water.

Call the guys at mudhole. One of them worked for lamigals for years. They have the mhx line built to thier specs. They won't steer you wrong. They already suggested the swimbait mhx but you want a longer blank. Developing a relationship with a good vendor whom you can trust is vital.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 30, 2011 02:55AM

Hey thanks for all the advice. Before I purchase I will definitely call mud hole for suggestions.

It looks like it will be between the rocket and one of the mhx rods... Im sure either way its gonna be a good rod.

Thanks

Posted by: Pekka Kemppainen (213.214.158.---)
Date: September 22, 2014 06:18PM

Casey Abell Wrote:
> Well folks you just about have me sold. Now its
> just a matter of figuring out what blank to use
>
> Here are the 2 that I was considering.... To
> give you a little info this rod will be used
> mainly on lakes or the occasional small river
> where fish dont typically break 10lbs - 15 lbs.
> They will be used from the bank throwing somewhere
> around 2oz of tackle and bait. Typically run
> braided line in the 15 - 20lb range.
>
> I have a couple other rods I built and have been
> using that are in the 10-10.5' long range. They
> do the job fine but are overkill and pretty heavy.
> So this time I thought about building this one as
> light as possible, a little shorter, and ill use
> my bigger rods for the big rivers.
>
> At first glance im sold on the first option. My
> concern is that its listed as Ex Heavy. I just
> dont think I need something that is Extra Heavy
> for sub 10lb fish.. but I may be wrong.
>
> The 2nd is almost a winner but is listed as only
> being capable of throwing up to 1.75 oz bait.
> Thats right on the line of what I would typically
> throw so it may be fine.. Im unsure
>
> Any suggestions.
>
> SA1085-MHX
> 2
> 9'0"
> 4.12
> 15-30
> 3/4-2 1/2
> Fast
> Ex-Hvy
> .621
> 6.5
>
> SA1086F-MHX
> 2
> 9'0"
> 3.4
> 12-25
> 1/2-1 3/4
> Mod-Fast
> Heavy
> .556
> 6
> $77.00

Old tread, but still.. I have rod built to SA1086F-MHX-blank. I use it for pike and it throws easily 3, even 4oz lures!

-Pekka

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster