I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Double first guide any feedback
Posted by: Nelson Phillips (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2011 08:44PM

I have seen a few pics on this site of double first guide. One pic in this thread [www.stripersonline.com]

Anybody know what size guides and the type in front of the LC were used.

Planning on an Allstatr 1267 as "first" guide

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double first guide any feedback
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2011 09:31PM

Why don't you try one of these instead ... [www.swamplandtackle.com].

Posted by: Nelson Phillips (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2011 10:10PM

I was but want Titanium

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 08:11AM

I'd been wondering lately how that guide was working out.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: July 25, 2011 09:22AM

Same here. If it was really revolutionary I would think there would be a lot more buzz. Heard some before they hit the market but now that they are available and guys are using them I hear nothing. Would be interesting to know how guys are liking them.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 09:28AM

You can also do a configuration like this This will give you a lot of options as to size and spacing you can use Bottom Right [willierods.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 12:56PM

I still can not figure out why the 30 is so close to the 8 on the Swampland Castaway Micorwave guide, why not just have it an size 8 , cause to me it looks like the 30 behind the 8 would serve no purpose, but thats just me, I would have to try one out, but I don't know if it would be the right guide for a dropshot spinning rod,.
t

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 01:43PM

Heya Lorenzo,

About 4 months ago I was building a spinning rod, and I researched a bit into guide selection and how I could get the least resistance (line-slap) from the spool to the first guide. I found this article in our library its a good read on the principles and concept of spinning guides applied to a build. link below !

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This might give you some insight on why the use of this new concept and what Tom K has come up with and why! That new Microwave Guide cost about $25 to obtain for a build. Its a cool looking concept guide but for the price its a bit over the top. You can achieve the same results with Tom K's Idea and spare the dollars. The transition from the spool to the first guide is the main key to getting the line to quite down for a better transition to the runner guides. Thus increasing your overall casting distance and ease of casting.

I have yet to give this a go on a build, but the concept and principle is sound. I am trying to find a video of a slow motion capture of how line comes out of a spinning reel and hits that first guide, but for the life of me I cant find the darned thing from my last research inquiry. I will post it if I do and you can see why this great idea Tom K has come up with. I think there is a few shots in the gallery that Tom K has posted with some comments there as well. I will be back later with an update if I can find that darned video, it was very informative! Have a good day of building folks !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: James Whelan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 01:47PM

The 30 mm comes before the 8 mm. That is, the 30 mm is closer to the reel spool. The funnel is compressed.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 02:17PM

then again will a 25 and a 10 work better ??? Then an 8 or 6 or even a 4 ???

More control with Toms way of doing it More of a pain because you can do sooo many changes with size and distance in-between them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 02:28PM

It does look good, I guess I am so used to moving the butt guide up or down, the funnel would be caused by the 8, cause it would seem to me it would hit the edge of the 8 first, but then again, the 30 would be there so that the funnel will not be as large going outward, again,lol! thats just my thought and I will try it out sometime. I am not trying to crush the guide's concept, it looks really good thats why i am thinkin of trying it out.It does leave me thinking and that could be a good thing.Have agood one you all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster