I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

repair oversleeve
Posted by: Jeff Frei (70.41.32.---)
Date: July 18, 2011 03:59PM

Searches only produced the importance of a good fit but not the preferred length. I am repairing a very ultralight rod with an inside diameter of .042" at the break which is about 5" from the end. I have so far removed the guide at the break and the tiptop which allows me to slide the sleeve over the blank. I then epoxied a piece of .036" piano wire inside and I have it cleaned up and ready for the sleeve. I have a sleeve that is about as perfect of a fit as possible, but am not sure as to the length. I would also like to turn it down a bit so as not to be overly strong or way ugly. How long and how thin would you go on this one?

Is this size piano wire ok or should I have gone to maybe .040"?

I hate to see this happen, I just built this rod this spring. MHX S841 7' ultralight and what a blast to use. I can't believe how far that thing will throw a nightcrawler with no weight, I hope this repair doesn't change that too much. Well thanks for whatever help you can give me on this.

This whole rod building thing has been quite an educational adventure and I guess repairing them is part of the education. Visiting this site has been like going to rodbuilding college and I thank all of you that patiently answer so many questions, trying to teach those of us that new to this addictive behavior. Every night I watch the news checking out the news anchors neckties for new color combinations, that ain't normal.

Thanks to all, Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: repair oversleeve
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2011 04:16PM

Do not put piano wire inside the break. It's not needed and will only create a problem.

Measure the OD of the blank at the point of the break and make the sleeve a length that is at least 4 times that amount on either side. In other words, if the break has occurred at a point that is 1/4 inch in diameter, make the oversleeve at least 1 inch in length on either side of the break. There is some overkill built in, but it won't be enough to cause any problems provided your oversleeve is glass, not graphite.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2011 05:11PM

Tom,
I read and understand your post.
I do use a piece of piano wire all of the time on very fine blanks to insure no crushing of the blank in the repair area.

May I ask why you are suggesting that the piano wire will create a problem. I have repaired many fine tipped rods this way and have never had any issues.

But, I am always willing to learn.

Roger

p.s.
I did do a repair a fine tip with only an oversleeve, and that repair failed. As a result of that experience, I always put either an inner sleeve, or if the blank is very fine, piano wire. Piano wire tends to match the bending moment of the blank and no issues with gluing in place.

Thanks again.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2011 06:20PM

You're changing the characteristics of the blank in that area. Blanks change shape slightly when they're flexed and you don't want anything inside there to interfere with that. There should be no reason that the blank would be crushed in that area from the oversleeve.

You might get by using it but it's not at all necessary and stands to create more problems than it solves.

Posted by: Jeff Frei (67.54.176.---)
Date: July 19, 2011 04:32PM

thanks guys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster