I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stepping out of my comfort zone
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 16, 2011 07:03PM

I have been building rods for a long time, but now find that I want to step out of my comfort zone. I built my first rod using the new concept guide system, and liked the way the rod felt and cast. I really liked the Batson SB720-4 blank that I built this rod on. I am just worried that the SB720-4 blank might have trouble casting the 1/32oz tube jigs, light Mepps, and Rostertails I use. The area I fish can produce large blue gill, crappie, small mouth bass, and rainbow in to the 20" catagory. I really don't need a 4 piece blank, but do need at least a 2 piece blank in the 6' to 7' range. I really liked the fast action of the Batson blank. Any suggestions on a blank would be greatly appreciated. Now down to the build. I have never used a split grip rod. When I am fighting bigger fish, I lay the butt of the rod along my forearm. I am wondering how this would work with the split grip set up? Seems to me that the gap between the butt and the reel seat might be uncomfortable. Finally, I want to do this rod in red, white, and blue, and try my hand at my first tiger wrap. Have any of you done a red, white, and blue tiger wrap? How did you do it? Sorry for all the questions, I have built old school, and am now looking at some of the new school stuff.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stepping out of my comfort zone
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2011 08:36PM

In respect to a light, but strong, pack rod, it is VERY tough to beat the SB720-4. I own a pair of them and they have absolutely been fished nearly to death. They have traveled many a mile underneath the belly of a plane and in a backpack. If you really need something lighter, you can move to the St Croix SCIII series. They offer an UL two-piece in 5'6" and 6'0" and sell the matching hard cases for them. FYI, I have used plenty of single hook trout spinners with the SB720-4 with no issue at all. I do find the best results are with lighter line such a 4# or a thin 6#, such as Stren Magnaflex.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 16, 2011 09:15PM

Jim:

I am currently using the St. Croix 2S60ULF2, and 2S66ULF2 blanks. I love these blanks, They are just a little on the light side for some of the fish. I am useing 2lb diam. 10lb test braid. I have hooked fish that stressed these blanks to the max, and even though the line was a little over a year old, broke the line. I know that I am asking for that magical "all around" blank. I just need something that will cast the light lures, and have enough butt to fight larger fish.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2011 09:37PM

Split grip works the same. The rear butt grip (if rear grip is placed properly) will rest just in front of your elbow. On my split grips the butt grip usually sits about 1.5 - 2 inches in front of my elbow. The distance from the butt to the rear of the reel seat ends up around 7 - 7.5 " on both spinning rods and casting rods. A good way to do it (for yourself) is to hold the blank and mark where your hand rests when the butt of the rod is about 2" in front of your elbow. That usually makes for a comfortable distance and helps to find the placement for the reel seat and grips. This is just one of the ways that I do it (my opinion). If you think about it, you really only need the butt grip and a little grip behind the reel seat (where your hand or forearm normally touch). Just remember that they don't work very well in rod holders (although I have put them in rod holders).

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2011 11:24PM

Phenix had some two-piece HM trout blanks at the show. Check with them.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 18, 2011 01:57PM

Hi Mike, If you have the sb720-4, try casting the lightest lures you plan on using with your next build and see if it is light enough for you. That is an awesome blank as mentioned by Jim.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster