I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First taste of micros
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 11, 2011 06:05PM

Size 6 single or double footers are usually ample for my saltwater rods but I'm building a light weight rod on a high modulus blank so I thought I'd try micros. With my big bumble fingers I have trouble with size 6 and have managed to drop and loose (where do they go!!!) a couple of these. I bought a couple of extras, just in case, and have been wracking my brain to come up with something that would prevent them getting lost. Came up with the idea of tying a piece of thread to them then taping it to the bench or blank as I know I'm going to drop a few. It's already saved me from loosing as least one while prepping the feet. Just need to get them taped to the blank so I can do some testing and then bind them on. Any other tips on handling these little critters would be appreciated. Hopefully after a few uses things will get easier.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First taste of micros
Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2011 07:05PM

Lol, I was just on the phone ordering ONE GUIDE because i dropped it and couldnt find it! ugh!! so frustrating!
thanks for the tip. while handling them you can use those prong like forceps if you can find them. light spring pliers work too. tight wraps!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 11, 2011 07:42PM

Locking forceps when working with them. Running a piece of mono through them all keeps them together as well.

Once you get use to wrapping micro's a 6mm fly looks huge and super easy.

DR

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 11, 2011 07:59PM

They're not expensive. Always buy a few more than you need.

Posted by: Matt Wegener (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2011 08:10PM

When I first started with micro guides I had a hard time getting them stuck to the blank with tape for thread wrapping. Of course they'd fall off and I'd be searching for them. What I've found that works for me is to take a thin rubber band and tightly tie it around the blank, square knot, then slip the guide underneath while pulling on the tag ends to create space. Trim the tags and have at it. I'm sure there's a better way, but I just can't make tape work on those small guides.
Matt

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2011 08:33PM

I dropped a size 4 about 2 weeks ago by my wrapping bench (on dark carpet) and have not found it yet. I guess I'm going to have to vacuum that area and check canister. I'll probably find a bunch of stuff that way.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: July 11, 2011 09:49PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They're not expensive. Always buy a few more than
> you need.
>
> .............

Have to argue with that, brother. When you're buying 6mm Titanium angled micros with an SIC ring, from Japan, and they go for almost $8 a pop, it hurts to lose a couple. lol.

Date: July 11, 2011 09:49PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They're not expensive. Always buy a few more than
> you need.
>
> .............

Have to argue with that, brother. When you're buying 6mm Titanium angled micros with an SIC ring, from Japan, and they go for almost $8 a pop, it hurts to lose a couple. lol.

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2011 11:25PM

Funny stuff, I just found the two I dropped from 5 months ago after doing a clean up of the floor. I spent hours looking for them and then Had to reorder and wait 2 days for delivery. I always order more than I need of the #4s . They can be very elusive when they drop from your eye sight on that journey down to the floor. I have a picture in the gallery of what I use to keep them critters stuck some were. Everyone has a practice on how they do it just pick one that works best for you. Good luck !

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 11:26PM by Rick Heil.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 12, 2011 01:59AM

Tom,
I did buy a couple of extras, just in case. These things are size four titanium framed, single foot SiC ringed fly guides and they're $6 a pop so I don't want to loose many. There a lot smaller than I'm used to so there's going to be a learning curve for sure. The pliers are a must when prepping the feet and at least that part went fairly well.
Rick, David and Gabe, I dropped a titanium framed single foot size 6 about 12 month's ago, saw it bounce but not were it went. Swept the floor, no result. Had some stuff on the floor in one corner so I moved that and swept the floor again, no result. Have had several cleanups since then and there is no sign of it. Yes Gabe it's very frustraing, lucky I'v got an ample supply of those things so it didn't cost me much time. Thanks for the other tips gents.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 02:50AM

When working with Micros, the best thing is to have a white workshop on a white work bench, on a white floor on a white chair with lots and lots of light.

Also, get down on your hands and knees every evening to clean up, and wipe down the floor while wearing an illuminated magnifiying glass on your head. All of the dirt, dust and micros will get picked up and put where it all needs to be.

That way, the little micros just pop up and let themselves be found.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 07:34AM

walk around in bare feet -- you will find them LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 09:16AM

I keep an off-white, canvas painter's drop cloth on the floor under my work area. The little buggers don't bounce as far when they fall on cloth, as opposed to a bare floor.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: mike harris (---.cluster-h.websense.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 10:07AM

I just call my wife, she can find a guide in 30 seconds that I have tried to find for hours. While doing some test casting before the show last year I had the line break on a cast and threw off a guide that was held on with a tie wrap, she found the #6 single foot fly guide in a 3 acre school parking lot, 150 feet from where I was standing.

I also always buy extra guides. Unless you are using the Ti guides for corrosion resistance you may have a rude surprise if you weigh your $6 guides against regular $1.30 stainless micros, the last time I did the stainless guides were actually lighter.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns7.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 12, 2011 05:54PM

Bill,
Won't be walking around in bare feet in this neck of the woods, it's the middle of winter.
George, the drop cloth sounds like a very good idea. As does the the vac with panty hose from Rogers post.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 10:13AM

be careful when taking your wifes pantie hose

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: July 16, 2011 08:57PM

G'Day Col. I use "O" rings for this I just slip them under the ring & bind up to the guide & then cut the "O" ring off .The cost of the "O" rings are minuscule when you weigh up the cost of a new guide + the time spent looking for them & preping a new one when you can't find the missing one. I buy the "O" rings from Supercheap for around $12.00 so you don't have to drop to many to be in front .Since using this method I have not lost one.

Regards Baz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster