I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 switches to control dryer
Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.bfcz1.lon.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 17, 2011 11:03PM

Hi all,

I currently use a on/off switch to turn off the dryer when I am applying epoxy but now that I have extended my handwrapper I dont want to be reaching over each but rather have an additional switch which I plan to add somwhere in the middle of the wrapper for easy access. I wont like to be able to use any of the switches to turn on or off. Is there any diagrams that I can use. Not sure what you call this type of circuit.

I guess my other option is to just have the one switch and have it move to the middle of the wrapper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 switches to control dryer
Posted by: Andres Perez (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2011 12:15AM

Bill,

Buy a couple of 3-way light switches from Home Depot and wire them as you would a light in a room that can be turned on and off from diferent locations. Place the switches along your work bench and use them to power on and off the dryer.

Hope this helps,

Andres Perez
Miami, Fl

Date: June 18, 2011 01:43AM

Thanks..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2011 08:46AM

Bill,
The very simple thing to do is to simply get an off and on foot switch that you use to turn the dryer off and on.
Must move it down the length of the rod as you work. It will always be within toes reach. Never have to lift a finger to flip a switch:

Roger

[www.harborfreight.com]

Use either the momentary one - where you keep your foot on it all of the time to keep the motor running, or use the tap on, tap off model where the motor will either remain off or on, depending on what the last tap of the switch did.

I use the tap on, tap off model to use with the dryer. It is easy to move the switch down the length of the rod, as you move down the length of the dryer.

Or, the suggestion by Andres is also a good one. i.e. you could mount multiple switchs on the front of your benck to allow for easy access.
If you wanted more than two switches, you could always incorporate a 4 way switch into the mix as well.

Here is a good lesson plan on how to wire up a circuit of two switches using 3-way switches, or more than 2 switches with 4 way switches.
You might actually like the use of 4 way switches, and put in three switches with one at each end and one in the middle.

[www.wfu.edu]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2011 08:49AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 18, 2011 09:09AM

You can also use a slip chuck, /I saw these at Mudhole's class and they are very useful for stopping the rod while applying finish

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 18, 2011 11:18AM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can also use a slip chuck, /I saw these at
> Mudhole's class and they are very useful for
> stopping the rod while applying finish

I second that, I purchased the Flex Coat slip chuck about 5 years ago and use it every day for my epoxy work.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2011 07:49PM

I will try and answer your question on the wiring for the switches. If you were to wire them in a ‘parallel circuit’ then either switch could be used to turn the motor off or on provided that the other switch is off. If you were to wire them in a ‘series circuit’ then both switches would have to be on or closed to turn on the motor and either switch could be used to turn the motor off. You can use Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, for wiring diagrams of series & parallel circuits. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2011 10:17PM

Dave, your answer is correct for single pole, single throw switches but not for other types. Someone above mentioned a "three way switch" It is a single pole, double throw switch (without a center off) that will allow him to do just what he wants. They are wired in series and commonly used in normal lighting circuits to allow someone the ability to turn a light on or off from two different locations. You can add as many "four way" switches as desired in between the three ways and turn off the same light from as many different locations as desired.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 18, 2011 10:53PM

Thanks Guys,

I like the Power Maintained Foot Switch. Very handy. Hope they make them in 220-240v.

I also like the slip clutch idea. I have sychronous 9rpm motor.

Thank you all for your help.

Date: June 19, 2011 05:59AM

Bill,
The particular harbor freight switch has a rating of 125 volts according to the manual specs.
But if you like the foot pedal but don't trust the switch, you can always substitute a switch with a different rating.
For example:

[www.grainger.com]

This - power maintained - switch is rated for 6 amps at 125volts or 3 amps at 240 volts.
Most dryer motors only draw a fraction of an amp so this switch would be just fine to use for a dryer switch if you chose to use it.

However, the posts mentioned about the use of the slip clutch on the chuck are right on and are likely the best way to go for most folks who want to easily stop their rod when applying finish.

By the way, the slip clutch works very well if you like to apply finish faster at something about the normal drying speed of 6-20 rpm.
Some folks like to apply finish at 100-200 rpm. This is the application that the clutch was really designed for. i.e. it was designed for production rod users who like to apply finish quickly using a 100-200 rpm finish application motor and then transferring the rod to a slower turning machine afterward.

By the way, I have posted this before, but if you want to use a foot switch and like to apply finish faster, and if you have a power wrapper, use your power wrapper to apply finish.
Just put some cardboard under the rod - in between the rod rests to keep finish drips off the bed of the wrapper and go for it with the wrapper.

I use the wrapper every day to apply finish and it works very well indeed. You can start or stop the rod at any time with your foot pedal. Turn the rod at any speed that you want, when applying finish and transfer it to a constant turning dryer when the finish is applied.
The only thing you have to do after finishing a rod wrap is to put the cardboard under the rod, apply finish and transfer to the dryer.

Good switching and drying
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2011 06:19AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2011 09:00AM

The end of Roger's last post is imo the best way to apply finish. I dont 'bother with teh cardboard under, when teh epoxy that drips cures it pops right off the lathe with a razorblade.

Date: June 19, 2011 11:28AM

Billy,
Good point on the use of the razor blade to pop off finish. I use one all of the time on the bench to clean up the finish that gets on that surface.

I suspect that the finish would pop off the metal base of my wrapper equally well. I think I will start using your method, since there is seldom any finish dripped on the cardboard anyway and it would just save the delay and hassle of putting down the cardboard.

Thanks for the thought.
Roger

Bill here is your 2 switches to control dryer
Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: June 19, 2011 02:53PM

Bill Jovanovsk

Here is the schematic for 2 swithes to control your Dryer. You can do it for less than $5.00

Click on this link: [members.cox.net]

Rena

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster