I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I need a little advice on reel seats
Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: June 07, 2011 08:33PM

I have two builds that are a little out of the norm for me and I'm not up on the latest and greatest in reels seats.

The first will be a curado 200E5 reel. It might see some fresh water use someday but my plans are for it to be used for schoolie dolphin as a "fun rod". Given that it will have to live in a rod holder until it is needed cork is out. I'm thinking the Fuji ECs is a good choice. But frankly I don't know. I'd hate to buy something and find the reel wobbles in the seat......or the reel seat ins't compatable with EVA grips. A carbon tube handle might work too.

The next will be a Baja Special. For those that don't know, consider it a narrow spool 4/0 senator with enhanced drag capacity. I plan to use it as a grouper reel so the seat needs to reasonably strong. Typically I'd go with a Fuji DPSH. However it might be time for me to look at aluminum seats again. I got away from them in the distant past as the lighter ones tended to corrode and fail over time and the good ones cost a lot. This build is nowhere near aftco range and I'm poor:)

I haven't decided on blanks but if it matters here is what I'm considering. The curado will probably get a composite or glass rod around 7' and 8-17# rating. The baja special, something like a 7' hercules/seeker/calstar....or maybe one of the new st. croix nsi blanks.

Any advice is appreciated. In general I like light, comfortable, easy to assemble. I don't want to bother will tenons and such. It needs to be a long term solution for salt water as I hate to have to change a reel seat! Bling isn't important in the least.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2011 08:34PM by Russell Brunt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need a little advice on reel seats
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 07, 2011 08:47PM

I think I would use the Alps aluminum triangular seats

Ron Weber

Posted by: billy broderick (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 07, 2011 09:09PM

Russ have you tried the American Tackle AG reel seats? They are a graphite reel seat with a aluminum hood. I think the smallest is a 22. They are strong and with the ribs they have a really good bond. Plus they have the anti electrolisys atributes which make them salt proof. Light weight, strong easily cut down to size.

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2011 10:16PM

Hello Russell,

I have built a a good few rods using the ALPS Aluminum Trigger Real Seats AT16-B there kinda spendy but they look really nice and come in the standard sizes for blanks, Easy to mount and extremely tuff. Anglers Workshop carries these in stock but call ahead to see if they are on the shelf. I got some pics of these some were.... I will have to look ! Anyways there very simple and come in all one piece Check out BatsonRainshodowAlps ! Good luck !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns5.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 08, 2011 02:55AM

Hi Russ,
I also like the Alps triangular aluminium seats, very strong and I've been using them in the salt for almost five years without any problems or signs of corrosion, but they aren't cheap. Used them with both cork and eva. If your looking for something cheaper have a look at the Mudhole seats, Project X spinning and Raptors. Haven't tried either but they look ok and Mudhole has got an excellent reputation.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: john backos (170.28.136.---)
Date: June 08, 2011 08:05AM

Russell said he was on a tight budget and the recommendations are an Alps seat which cost twice as much as the heavy Pac Bay, or AmTack aluminum seats or the heavy Fuji graphite.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 08, 2011 08:55AM

Hello Russell
Mud Hole Pg. 140, "Channel Lock" Slim Spinning Reel Seats 17mm & 20mm,$16.95 & 19.95.
For Bigger pg. 130 & 131 anything in there is good and you can choose your price range!
The Large "Channel Lock" seats are on pg. 130(Graphite) & 131(Aluminium).
"American Tackle" has Graphite(pg.130) & Aluminium(pg. 131) also.
"Perfection"(one of my favorites) makes size(16mm & 19mm) that are real nice(pg. 130).

Good Luck and Big Fun.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.physics.kent.edu)
Date: June 08, 2011 09:57AM

Russell,

For my personal rods, I tend to use the exposed blank seats from Batson. One note on those is that they have have 4 ribs in the barrel that mate with the blank. I haven't filled the gaps and things have held up fone for me. If you don't care for that design, the ECS, or the Amtak ECRS may work out better for you. For what it's worth, the only seat I've ever had an issue with reel wobble with my bass sized casting reels was a Castaway, and only with my older (10-15 year old) Shimanos. A couple little pieces of electrical tape on the foot was plenty to snug up the fit, but avoiding the issue is always better. The newer models (Citica and Cardiff) have fit well in anything that I've put them in, Batson, Pac Bay, Fuji, and Castaway.

On another note, the butt end of the exposed blank seats (16mm barrel) I've used match up nicely with the 1.05" OD graphite tubing. The EVA bushing from Batson for the transition from the back of the seat to the tubing makes a nice transition, and masks any imperfections in the cut of the tubing.

Joe

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 08, 2011 11:24AM

Just a +3 for the Alps seats. The trigger ones are a bit pricey, but the CentraLock's are pretty nice. I've not had a problem with salt corrosion as long as things are cleaned off after use. The EVA will get pretty beat up as well if you stick it in a holder a lot. XFlock shrink tube over the EVA will make it last longer and the shrink tube can be replaced if it wears through. Nearly all seats will be pretty easy to assemble, but if you really want the lightness, then you probably should stick with a graphite seat.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: June 08, 2011 02:09PM

Seems the Alps triangular seat is a crowd favorite. I'll consider it. Not sure how I feel about the shape though.

An aluminum trigger seat seems overkill for a curado 200 to me. I'm thinking a blank exposed type would be better suited. Joe, thanks for the info that the 1.05" tube matches up well. Also good to know wobble isn't a problem anymore.

The am tak AG sounds too large. I'll have to see what size the blank ends up being and take a look at what I'm using and fits my hand.

Robert, not too sure why a spinning seat was mentioned. Could it be that you like it for a casting reel?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 08, 2011 02:45PM

Hello Russell
I just dont like casting seats on anything I put in a rod holder or in salt water, and you said 4/0 senator.
I even saw the word GROUPER.

I like big fish!
Just my $.02

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: June 08, 2011 03:24PM

Okay, gotcha Robert. The "slim spinning reel" and size 17mm didn't equate to 4/0 and grouper for me:)

Been awhile since I have been out in the GOM but 40 pounders were common and 60 pounders happen often enough. Islands had better numbers but smaller fish.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster