I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cutting butt
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 03, 2011 01:17PM

sorry for the rehashing of old info ,Im trying to figure out why cutting the butt of a rod would make it less powerful. It it because of the decrease length ?
I was thinking that a shorter rod would be more powerful? Please explain thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cutting butt
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 03, 2011 02:06PM

Cutting a blank changes the action. If a given rod blank stops bending 36 inches from the butt and you cut off 8 inches it now bends at 28 inches. In doing so the rod will bend through a larger section of the overall length. I hope that males sence.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: June 03, 2011 02:13PM

The thick end of the rod is naturally the stronger end. Think about a tree planted in the ground. Say it is three feet around at the base because it is old. If you could pull it out, cut a few feet off, and stick in back in the ground so it was now two foot around at the base would it stand up to the same strength wind?

I should probably put this out as another of my "myths" questions. I have always found that if you had two indentical model rods, made by the same company, offered in different lengths then.....the longer the rod the more it would dead lift before failure. Now of course the longer it is the harder it is for the angler to dead lift the same weight.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: June 03, 2011 03:52PM

In my opinion, the blank will never know that the lenght of the butt has been reduced. Most blanks flex from tip to 2/3 down to the butt. From the point where the blank starts to flex to the tip the action does not change, the rest of the blank to the butt is pretty much dead. The only effect will be the moment arm changes from the tip to where your hand holds the blank becomes shorter.

John

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: June 03, 2011 11:10PM

How does it not change the power? I have a 7-6 heavy fast action if I cut it in half I dont have a heavy rod no more and the still is a fast action. Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: June 04, 2011 08:10AM

Steven, it would not be considered a fast action any more. Fast action referes to the upper 1/4 of the blank flexing. Now that you took away that much of a blank, it would be flexing 1/2 way down, which would be more a moderate action.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 04, 2011 08:56AM

Steve, you are right on the money. It depends how much you cut off, taking an inch ro 2 wont do much, removing 6-12" will, depending on teh length and type of blank it is.

Date: June 04, 2011 10:56AM

From prior discussions we have had on this subject,I believe the action on the rod is an integral component of the rod and never changes. What u do is diminish the power of the rod by changing the length .I believe that Mike explained the principal . The term action should have been replaced by power? Please don't think me as nitpicking , just trying to learn correct terminology Billy also brought up an excellent point which I agree.Fred thank you for your reply I was amused by your comment (hope this makes males sense) lol Thanks to every one for helping me .Now I understand.

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: June 04, 2011 10:03PM

Please explain action is it where the rod bends or is it the recovery time it takes to get back to a straight axis? I always thought it was in the tip not where it bends at. Like take a medium light fast it will flex alot further than a heavy fast right?

Date: June 05, 2011 02:52PM

Where most of the initial flex in a rod blank takes place. Fast Action rods will flex mostly in the upper 1/3rd of their length. Moderate Action rods in the upper 1/2 of their length. Slow Action rods flex along their entire length. *See also "Progressive Action."This info was taken from the glossary section of this forum. Im far from an expert in this particular area.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 06, 2011 10:14AM

maybe this will help with the tip flex thing: [www.orvis.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster