I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Krylon Clear coat?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2011 07:00PM

I have a Castaway rod that I stripped down for a friend and lightly sanded it down , and am wanting to put a clear coat on it. So , Does anyone have any experience with the Krylon Clear coat, acyrlic? If so how many coats should i give it? Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Krylon Clear coat?
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2011 07:20PM

I would use the Plasticote Clear Coat. If flexes and holds up really well.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 22, 2011 07:20PM

I'm not sure it's going to provide a really good blank coating for you. It'll be okay for a few weeks, maybe a few months, but it's not really very hard.

If you want to go this route, I'd look for a urethane spray - exterior gloss.

Date: May 22, 2011 07:21PM

The Plasticote may be fine - I was referring to the Krylon acrylic. David and I were typing at the same time.

Date: May 22, 2011 08:03PM

Then I will gie the Plasticote a try, thanks for the feedback.

Date: May 22, 2011 08:08PM

Is that Plasticcoat clear a enamel or acrylic? and where would I get this at?

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2011 09:43PM

I get mine at my local Ace hardware store.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 23, 2011 07:59AM

bring up there site and there should be stores you can get it from on there

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 23, 2011 08:35AM

How about Helmsman spar varnish ? Its the best clear coat around .

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 23, 2011 08:48AM

learn how to use Permagloss or LumiSeal. Drys clear fast hard Nice to wrap guides on Just takes practice to use.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 23, 2011 09:16AM

The Helmsman is very good and very durable for a spray. But it yellows badly.

Date: May 23, 2011 09:49AM

how about Duplicolor clear?

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: May 23, 2011 10:00AM

I had this product I have been using for pens and stuff I turn. I was refinishing a few of my own rods this winter and gave t a try on the blanks.
[www.woodturnerscatalog.com]
It seems to be holding up very well and I like the satin finish on it instead of having a gloss finish.

Date: May 23, 2011 10:37AM

Mike.S. I looked at the product , I was wondering how you apply it to the rod?Thank you.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2011 11:13AM

Really nothing you can buy in a spray can short of a two part ureathane (which they do make) will give you good results. Spar will yellow, touch up paints will chip, and enamals acrylic or not will fail in short time. The wipe on single part ureathanes work very well but IMO not over any color painted surface. Sometimes they work other times they eat the paint, kind of a shoot from the hip! You can tint them and get good results as well. Short of a factory dip system the only way to get a good paint job is with 2K ureathane automotive. This also has draw backs if not preped very very well. I shoot alot of blanks and have learned all the ins and outs so I would suggest an autobody shop and have a pro do it.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: May 23, 2011 11:20AM

Lorenzo,

I first scraped all the old finish off the blank down to bare graphite. I took a soft cloth and put some of the finish on the cloth and just rubbed it into the blank. The final step I made one long pass with the cloth to smooth it all out. You need very little of the finish on the cloth to cover the blank. The rods I refinished I had left the handles on so I had a way to prop up the rod to let it dry.

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 25, 2011 05:13PM

If your just redoing a inexpensive rod for a buddy and its a black rod. Helmsman will do. You can do other types of finish as discussed from the above posts. If you really want a good repaint and finish. Talk to John Martines. He knows.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster