I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to get good potos?????
Posted by: Tom St.Clair (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 18, 2011 06:19PM

Hey all,

I have a dumb question.........imagine that

How is the best way to get good photos. When I try to take them I end up with "hot" spots, Glare, all sorts of bad things.....

I have been taking them indoors on a wooden table.

Would it be better to put them against a sheet or blanket, towell?????

thanks
tom

--------------------------------

tom in indy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 06:19PM by Tom St.Clair.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to get good potos?????
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2011 07:06PM

Light colored background works pretty well. Also try to use external light and turn the flash off. Pictures show up better before finish is put on also. If your camera has a macro setting, use it and get as close as you can without losing focus. Here is a link for a tutorial on making a photo box.

[www.rodbuildingtutorials.com]

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2011 07:24PM

Tom, Dave is right on. That photo box should work, I made a photo tent out of PVC pipe and draped a wite sheet over it and added goose neck type lighting on both sides and the top. I also use colored poster board on the inside to give a nice plain back ground. The tent is actually a retangle to what ever size you like, mine is 24X36 and then add the legs. It works great. Like Dave said, NO FLASH

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Daniel Glenn Eason (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2011 03:13AM

not sure about building a lightbox, but diffuse ambient light is what my cousin and i rely on. it is really just a midday shaded area. FLASH OFF

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: May 19, 2011 09:48AM

A neutral background without much clutter seems best. Does not fool the camera's auto metering system and lets it focus on the rod instead. You can also tape wrapping tissue paper over any overhead lights to diffuse the glare you get. Also better to photograph wraps BEFORE applying finish. That takes care of the glare problem!

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 19, 2011 05:01PM

Tom, I don't know what kind of camera your using but if you have a setting for taking close up of flowers use that setting and use a non reflective background and shoot it at a slight angle to the side it will reduce the glare from the rod. This is one of those things that you really need to play with all the different settings on the camera and see which one works.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2011 10:04AM

Unfortunately most of the small compact cameras do not have either a removable or adjustable flash.

In the days when I used a 35mm SLR with a stand a lone flash, I would often use the flash off of the camera and point the flash toward a white ceiling, rather than the subject.
That way, when the flash went off the reflected flshh - light from the flash off the ceiling did a nice job of lighting the sujgect without getting "hot spots" on the subject.

But with todays small built together cameras, the best solution is as others have suggested, use other sources of indirect light and turn the flash off on the camera.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster