I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy on composite cork & eva grip removal.
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2011 11:33AM

Don't mean to be so full of ?"s, lol! But I have a cork and foam composite grip, that I have that has dried on the edges,what would be the best way to remove that, I am thinking of sanding, but if there is a better way of doing this please let me know, I am trying to get this done before saturdays fishing trip. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy on composite cork & eva grip removal.
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2011 11:54AM

Lorenzo,
The very best thing to do is to leave it along and go fishing.
With a cork and foam composite - if is the one that I am thinking has a very thin veneer of cork over the foam, so sanding is a bad idea.
If the excess epoxy is not on the actual top surface of the cork, but is on one end or the other - you MAY - be able to use a new, very sharp razor blade and cut it off the endof the handle without cutting into the cork.

If not, leave it alone and move on.

---------------
In the future, when doing handle and epoxy work, check, check and double check as your handle and blank is drying. If you find, that after gluing for a bit, you get some excess epoxy squeezing out of the grip, then you can use Xylene to clean the excess semi soft epoxy off of the blank and or handle with no issue.
But, if you let the epoxy set up solidly and if you are working with thin veneers of material - it is pretty tough to do anything about it without harming the finished rod.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 18, 2011 12:10PM

You might be able to heat with a hair dryer and pop it off with a Popsicle stick

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2011 12:25PM

Its one of them custom cork composite EVA butt grip, from Midwest Rod & tackle,I don't think it has a veneer over the foam, it looks like it is mixed with the cork all the way thru. I am still in a rock and a hard place on what to do! it looks like a mess thats why I am so wanting to try to get it off the composite cork. Thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster