I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help with blank selection for Florida fishing
Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: May 16, 2011 07:40PM

Okay so my wife volunteered me to build a rod for her brother for a birthday gift. He lives in SW Florida and does a lot of fishing in the mangroves and such for sea trout, redfish, snook, catfish, etc. and he does this from his boat. I need some help in finding the right blank and guides. He said he wants something that throws (spinning) in the 1/4 - 5/8 range. Approx 6.5' - 7' length. Said he had tried a St Croix that he loved but all he could tell me was that it was brown. I looked up the St Croix and all I could find that might be what he liked is this 3SW66MF or 3SW70MF

Any one have any experience with this blank? What guides would you use for this application? Would the Fuji "K" series be appropriate?

Any other blanks you would recommend or have experience with

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help with blank selection for Florida fishing
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.31.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 16, 2011 08:25PM

While the St. Croix is a good blank, for my money you'd be hard pressed to beat the MHX SJ783 (6'-6") or the SJ843 (7'). I've built 3 of the 843's for myself and they've served me and my tournament partners well.
Also check out the MHX lining of popping blanks as they'll fit the bill quite nicely as well, especially the P843 in the 7' range.

Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: May 16, 2011 09:59PM

Jim...I'm with Matthew on this one..i purchased an MHX SJ 783 last June....it won't be the last!!!...Smokin' Blank !!! and nicely priced...hope this is of some help... Oh...and don't you just Love it when they volunteer your Time for you???...i just Love moving Freezers and Refrigerators on Weekends for people i DON"T even Know!!!!!...Yeah...but she looks good for it!!!!! Ahhhh, God Bless their Pointed little Heads L.M.A.O !!!!!

Date: May 16, 2011 10:07PM

Would prefer a 1 piece

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.31.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 16, 2011 10:12PM

Jim Meallows Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would prefer a 1 piece

Those are 1 piece blanks.

Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: May 16, 2011 10:23PM

Matthew is Correct Jim...they are one Piece...Cheers!!!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2011 10:25PM

Jim -

The St Croix SCIII Inshore series would be a great fit. He most likely tried the 3SW70MF, it is very commonly located on better store racks here in Florida. You could definitely do "K" series guides in stainless steel (BKLAG and BKTAG), paring a conservative budget with modern performance. You simply can't go wrong with St Croix and Fuji.

Jim -

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2011 09:05AM

I have built on the MHX - SJ843 and it is a nice blank. In my opinion, it is better suited to bass fishing. I also have a St. Croix SCIII spinning rod. Still nice, but I think the action of popping rods is better for what you want. For saltwater flats I prefer the MHX - P843 or P844 popping blanks. I also like the Batson Rainshadow IP842 and IP843 Inshore Popping blanks.

I build mostly fly rods, but I have used Fuji Concept Alconite (CYAG) guides with CLAG running guides on all of the spinning rods I have built . They have worked great. I'm sure the K series are equally as good although a little more expensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 09:15AM by Bob Riggins.

Posted by: Thomas Brown (---.saw.usace.army.mil)
Date: May 17, 2011 09:10AM

Batson IP or XP 843 or 844

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2011 09:26AM

Jim,
without knowing what his specific style of fishing is and lure/bait types I'd look at the DS821-Blend or DS822-Blend for that application. the 821 for lighter live bait or small jig applications and the heavier one for top's and swimbaits.

[www.mudhole.com]

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: May 17, 2011 02:29PM

Last week i used a DS822 stretched to 7ft and rigged with minima 4's, split grip, 10# braid in the surf in front of our condo at Perdido key AL on the Florida border. I have to agree with Todd : great blank for that task.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2011 09:58AM

mhx p844 or p843. i just ordered a p904. great blank.

Date: May 22, 2011 05:40PM

Thanks for all the help. Not sure yet on which one to get. Looking for a little clarification on the MHX series. Any one use the HM (high modulus) blanks and what (if any) advantage do they offer? I am looking at the HM P844-MHX (popping and a faster tip) and the HM-SJ843-MHX (spin/jig)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster