I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Extra fast action blanks - bass rods
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: May 03, 2011 03:07PM

I am currently building a couple of extra fast action spinning rods and do not completely understand the benefits of the fast tip. I have been told the fast tip will give a little to let the fish take the bait without feeling any pull on the line? Also that a blank will be able to cast lighter baits while still having enough power to set the hook and control the fish? The one I have completed was for my wife and we had poor fishing this past weekend with all the rain and high water so she says she will wait to catch a few fish before making a report. The next two will be shaky head rods and while they have more power they still have that extra fast tip. Thes are all SCV blanks so when they say extra fast they mean it! Can someone explain further?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Extra fast action blanks - bass rods
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2011 04:38PM

Bill -
No and yes.
I think that the first part of your statement is subject to interpretation. i.e. the faster tip lets the fish take the bait without feeling any pull on the line.

The 2nd part of the equation, able to use lighter baits with the same rod is right.
i.e.
With a faster tipped lighter tip tip, one can use a bit lighter bait and still allow you to see and feel a bit of the bait movement while still having the ability for a lightning hook set.

With respect to the faster tip letting the fish take a bit of line before feeling the line - one is better off to use either a slow or moderate action rod.
i.e. with a slower or more moderate action rod, the tip can bend further down into the rod - letting the fish take some line without feeling the bait.

This is also a reason to use mono line for this style fishing - rather than using a braid. If you want to let the fish swim a bit before feeling the fisherman, use mono, with a bit of stretch in the line - or in the system.

-----------------
Having said that, for many of the types fishing that I do these days, I certainly prefer the use of a fast or extra fast tipped rod.
i.e. the ability to feel the very light ticks of a neutral or negative biting fish on a lighter bait.

Conversely, for the use of crank baits, - or for the type fishing where you really need the fish to more or less hook themselves - the use of a moderate or slow action rod can often put a lot more fish in the boat.

------------------
By the way - when manufacturers say slow, moderate, fast, or extra fast - all manufacturers don't have exactly the same definition.

However, if you work only with a single manufacturer, then the differences in that manufacturers slow to extra fast tipped rods will be very apparent.

-----------------
Any time that I am jig fishing - with live bait or with plastics - I will only fish with an extra fast tipped rod.
But, if I am live bait rigging with a weight, a plain hook and bait, and need for the fish to inhale the bait before setting the hook, my preference is for a slower action rod.

Good luck and good fishing.

Roger

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2011 05:14PM

Bill,
I have an SCIII 68MXF that I built for jerk bait and top waters. And that sucker is really fast tipped. It feels like you have a foot of tip and then a broomstick. It is a great rod for what it was designed to fish. For casting spoons or bottom bouncing jigs I prefer a less faster tip.

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: May 04, 2011 12:41PM

I agree with allot of what Roger stated. I am an exclusive Bass fisherman, so most of my clients are also Bass folks. To be honest this whole topic is subject to a person’s own preference. In my own personal opinion, I always use a fast/xfast tip rod when I am fishing a bait that requires a slow meticulous presentation. When fishing a jig or Texas rigged I want to maintain contact with the bait at all times and be able to set the hook quick. The fast action gives me enough movement in the rod that a fish will not feel me when I slowly raise the rod at the same time giving me the rod back bone to set the hook.

I also fish a fast tip when working a top water bait (frog or pop-r) for a totally separate reason. I want to maintain direct contact with the bait. I am working the bait in a rhythm with me throwing slack line back toward the bait to allow it to whip back-and-forth. If you attempted to do this action with a rod with a slow or moderate action the action you wanted the bait to move in would be distorted.

I use a fast tip on my shaky head rod also; although, this rod has overall less power than a jig or worm rod.

I hope this helps.
Gabe

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: May 04, 2011 04:05PM

Thanks guys that helps a lot. My drop shot rod (old P-7000) has a VERY limber tip but not as fast as the Croix's. These will be used for finesse plastics and shaky heads so sounds like I am right on. Not sure I am ready to try extra fast on a big jig rod yet because I prefer slower action to help keep the fish buttoned up. Have you had this problem with the extra fast jig rods in MH or H power?

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.159.---)
Date: May 04, 2011 06:18PM

Gotta admit, I just don't get it. I thought X fast meant that only the tip would normally flex and the rest of the rod would be stiffer. The only way a setup like that could mean the fish wouldn't feel you is if that very soft, slow, tip portion of the rod were hooked up to a very stiff butt.

I think if you want the fish not to feel you, you need a slower action , not an extra fast action.

Where have I gone wrong?

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 04, 2011 07:03PM

Michael,

X-Fast usually means a THIN tip that is very light and WILL move very easily to detect strikes and throw lighter lures. And yes, this usually means a rod that "locks up" early in the bending process and gives the angler a stiffer butt section. It's not a matter of having a slower tip if the tip is thin and lightly powered enough the same movement can and will take place.

Help any?

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster