I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Board Sponsers aside...
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 11:41PM

...how many of you actuallly make a living building fishing rods?..and if you do whats your advice for young builders?

MJ

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 12:05AM by Michael Joyce.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Board Sponsers aside...
Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: April 26, 2011 03:14AM

Best advice: It is a great way to (possibly) pay for your hobby, but don't expect to get rich...

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 06:52AM

1/ Get involved with / set up a business relationship with 1 - 3 of the sponsors (including business license for wholesale pricing).
2/ Make contact with local fishing clubs & organizations (BASS chapters, Trout Unlimited chapters, Charter boat captains associations & tackle shops). Offer a repair service - I make more $ per hour at this than building new rods.
3/ Charge enough to cover your costs plus labor (ie: don't be afraid to ask a fair price for your work).
4/ Eventually you should consider setting up as a reseller (based on business relationships in #1).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 08:06AM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 10:45AM

I believe Ken is right and i also make more from repairthan new rods. I would suggest you show up at your local tournements and don't be afraid to show off your work

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2011 10:46AM

mike, i do it because i enjoy making things and the process. I personally don't want to have to come home and have a bunch of rods to build if i don't feel like it. I have no intention of making this a full time job, making this a chore and not a passion. If i can make enough to support my habit then i am happy. this has also brought me many friends throught he years that i cherish. i would guess that there are very very few who truly do this as a living.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2011 10:57AM

If you're going to do it for any sort of a decent living, you won't come out building $200 rods. You're going to have to build $1000 rods.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 10:57AM

Beer money LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2011 12:47PM

There are probably a few hundred people making a full-time living in this business ... and very few "getting rich". 99% of them are manufacturers and distributors. Almost without exception, builders doing it professionally still have an income ... either from a day job or a retirement pension.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 26, 2011 04:14PM

I echo J.P. Timberlakes statements exactly ! I've had a job for most of my life and I definitely don't want another one. IMO building full time would take the fun, experimentation, etc out of it and it would become just another "have to" situation
I get more out of the reaction from people when they get a one of a kind rod built specifically for them that I would in selling 20 "off the rack" identical cookie cutter rods. Don't jump as this is just my personal preference. Everyone has their own reasons and that's what it's all about!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 08:15PM

Great answers....just wanted to throw that question out there. JP's was great because "having" to build a rod is horrible compared to "wanting" to build one.

MJ

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 26, 2011 08:40PM

I will echo Mike and J.P. I also get a kick out of building rods for charity @#$%&. A lot of times the person that wins it does not fish and knows little about a fishing rod. These people think it is the prettiest fishing "pole" they have ever seen. Sometime I will build one specifically for the ladies. It will be Pink, Purple, some pretty color, and the bidding goes wild.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 27, 2011 07:54AM

If I wanted a boss over me to tell me what to do and complane when I am late for work --- I would get a JOB

Did body work for 30 some years and had enough of that

I work when I want to even at 2:00 in the morning and no boss to yell at me -- I yell at my self - But not often

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jeff Frei (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: May 03, 2011 07:29PM

I had a welding shop for over 10 years and people would say "but you are your own boss"... wrong, when you have customers you have a thousand bosses and mine used to call at all hours of the night. If you love to build rods, you may want to keep it as a great hobby and charge what you can. Plus, not everybody is suited to run a successful business, doing something that you love, does not necessarily guarantee success. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster