I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix SCV thread color
Posted by: Jay Cook (---.scansafe.net)
Date: April 23, 2011 04:30AM

Does anybody know which thread St Croix uses on the blue/green flip color SCV blanks? Or, can anybody suggest something that would compliment that color. It is somewhat unique and can't decide on a color that would look right. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix SCV thread color
Posted by: Dave Traver (---.44.9.212.res-cmts.swv.ptd.net)
Date: April 23, 2011 08:04AM

I just had a custom St. Croix built for me in the blue/green flip color. The builder used a color called "Blue Dunn" on mine. It sure looks nice on the rod.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2011 08:11AM

I suggest using a slightly lighter blue nylon without CP. The wraps will become highly translucent and "disappear" into the blank. I like the blank itself to be the focal point on the SC5 Flip. That paint job is spectacular in the sunlight.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2011 09:51AM

Jay,
If you want to know the color that St. Croix uses on their rods, just drop them an e-mail. They are quick to respond.

I had the same question on the new 2011 slightly green colored SC5 blanks. They indicated to me that this color was done at the factory with Olive Gree thread.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Jay Cook (---.elp.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2011 02:23PM

I was thinking the same thing on the no CP idea. The color on this thing is amazing and I do not want to take away from it. I plan on using titanium guides, will the translucent effect of the thread show the guide foot? Im sure I could paint the feet a dark color but what are some suggestions? I recently some new G Loomis factory rods that showed the entire guide foot through the light colored thread and I was not impressed.

Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 23, 2011 04:06PM

My next SCV will get FishHawk silk sparkle. With the SCV I would probably go with the 238-sil, it would look better than good with the titanium guides.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2011 12:08AM

I built one with Ti guides and used Gudebrod Teal with no CP trimmed with Steel Blue metallic. The teal almost disappears.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 11:01AM

Jay,

I have done 8 - 10 of the SC V's, blue/flip green colored blanks using Gudebrod, Size A, HT Metallic, Color: Aquamarine 9252. My customers love the color match and ask for it again when ordering a new SC V. I place a small silver trim band on each side of the main wrap with 3 small, two wrap, insert bands. The thread color complements the blue/ flip green finish great, as this blank kind of changes, (flips), color in the sun depending on what angle you hold it at. A real pretty rod blank in my opinion!

I was panicked, when Godebod closed their doors, so I went shopping for it on the internet. It is getting harder to find now; but I just bought two 1 oz. spools of this color from donartrods.com.

If you are interested in using the Gudebod HT Metallic, Aquamarine, I would recommed buying extra when you find it.

I had read on this site that some of the Godebod employees were going to "picking up the pieces" and Godebod thread was going to become available again. I do not know if that ever happened. If anyone has an update on Gudebrod thread available, I would appreciate reading about it.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2011 11:03AM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: Pedro Gomez (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 03:32PM

Donald,

I am currently on the same boat thrying to decide which color thread to use on this same blank and I was wondering if you could post or send me a few detailed pictures of these rods you've built using this Aquamarine metallic thread. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Pedro

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 28, 2011 12:36PM

Pedro,

I just e-mailed you a picture. 'Sorry I did not send it sooner, as I was just checking back to see if anyone had posted an up date on availability of Gudebrod threads and I noticed your post.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2011 12:38PM by Donald R Campbell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster