I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thinner, lighter finish?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 07:30PM

Hello, I am using the Threadmasters lite, and am curious on how can i get a thinner and or lighter finish, or what is the best way to come about to get that thinner and or lighter finish, any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thinner, lighter finish?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 13, 2011 07:51PM

You have at least a couple options. Use a stiffer brush. That prevents you from applying as much finish. Or, you can switch to something like Permagloss or Lumiseal, both are as thin as water.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2011 07:53PM

I use Lumiseal on fly rods and when I want a really light finish. You can actually build it up or leave it very light, just enough to cover the threads and soak in.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.177.22.49.adsl.snet.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 10:25PM

ProKote is very thin when it's mixed, so you can still get a gloss finish and low build, or you can let it set up a bit, get thicker, and then apply another coating of the thicker epoxy.

Date: April 13, 2011 11:00PM

Thanks all, for the suggestions, so, how about like on Tiger wraps, I put like 2 coats on the bottom where the 2 contrast colored thread are, then on top where the pull out thread is I put 2 more, I am wondering is that really necessary?, cause it always turns out pretty thick, with that many coats. Couldn't I just put like one coat on the bottom and one coat on top, would that give it enough depth? Thank you.

Date: April 13, 2011 11:36PM

The more depth in between the bottom and top layer, the more the holographic effect will occur and be more drastic. I usually use 1 thick coat between the layers; I apply a layer of ProKote, let it thicken a bit, and then apply another thick coat with the thickened ProKote.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2011 07:15AM

Try Aftcote thread finish. Super thin.

DR

Date: April 14, 2011 07:49AM

Timothy, do you mean put the epoxy on then let it sit for awhile and then put more on top of the coat you just put on, so one final coat on top of it all should do, cause you already have depth between teh layers. does that sound alright to you? I done an ultralight with a tiger wrap, and the wrap came out pretty thick, the way i did it 2 inbetween and 2 on top, so thats why I am trying to figure out a thinner way to do this. Thank you.

Date: April 14, 2011 02:43PM

Yes, I do a thin layer to soak in and displace any air that will form bubbles and go back after the epoxy has set a little and thickened up a bit and apply another layer to get the thickness/build I want. When it is very thin and runny, it's hard to get a good build because it wants to drip. It acts more like a regular epoxy once it thickens up, so you can control how thick your coat will be.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2011 03:04PM

Anyone else use Permagloss or Lumiseal? I haven't tried Permagloss yet and was wondering how similar it is to PG.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: April 14, 2011 03:20PM

Will try that method Timothy, have as good fishing season!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster