I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Details on Cutting edge of cork borer
Posted by: Andy Dochterman (---.dr01.aled.il.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 10, 2011 04:50PM

Got my self in a little pickle and need to complete a rod by this coming weekend. I have some 12" cork handles that I need to bore out, but I don't have the tools to do it. I also don't have time to wait for the flex-coat reverse long bore from a supplier, but I do have access to the long shank spades and can make my own. The thing I need is some type of detail of how to grind the cutting edge on the back side fo the spade. Any help or photos is greately appreciated.

Take'er Eazy
Andy Doc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Details on Cutting edge of cork borer
Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 10, 2011 05:03PM

Andy,
See your email

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Andy Dochterman (---.dr01.aled.il.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 10, 2011 07:18PM

once again...thanks John...exactly to get me out of the pickle..

Once again...this site comes through where other sites of the same nature don't...a big thanks to TOM...thanks

Take'er Eazy
Andy Doc

Posted by: Richard Beecher (---.dhcp.hlrg.nc.charter.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 09:04AM

I'd like that info on making them myself as well if you don't mind sending it.

Thanks,
Richard

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 12:38PM

Richard,
1. Figure the direction that you want to turn the drill when you are cutting the cork or other handle.
2. Put the back side of the drill bit against the grinding wheel.
3. Grind both sides of the top end of the spade bit flat from the drill bit shaft to the edge of each spade bit side.
4. Finally tilt the bit a bit so that you put a sharp cutting edge on one side of the top end of the spade bit.
5. Finally, imagine that you are cutting the handle, and tilt the bit so that when you cut the opposite side of the bit, you will be having both sides of the spade bit cutting at the same time.

Summary,
Essentially duplicate the cutting edge of the spade bit that is currently on the bottom of the bit at the top side of the spade bit.
As long as you have a reversible bit, it really doesn't matter which direction you have the spade bit turning when it is doing the cutting. Just make both cutting edges cut at the same angle, and for the cleanest cut, you don't want the cutting edges to be tilted very mich from 90 degrees to give yourself a finer cut.

Good cutting.
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster