I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

just getting started and have problems
Posted by: larry pilgrim (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: April 07, 2011 04:49PM

i am just getting started wrapping my own rods, i have done repairs before but never with a power wrapper. now for my problems
# 1 getting the wrap started , the thread keeps sliding around the blank , put more tension on the thread and finally got the wrap started
#2 trouble getting wrap over the guide foot let some tension off and finally made the transition
#3 wrapped the pull thread six times and every time i pulled the running thread through it would pull all the way back around to the guide and unravel, got to this point three times with the same result then gave up and came here for help

I am using metallic pro wrap size A, I am thinking that i still have too much tension on the thread , but not sure about anything now except i am doing something or things wrong, any advice will be greatly appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: just getting started and have problems
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2011 05:00PM

This is one of the reasons I wrote that book for Amato - it has the answers (and photos) to all your questions, and many more.

1. When you make the locking X with your thread, take the tag end around the blank 3 times. Just spiral it around the blank. Pin it to the blank with a finger or thumb and then rotate the blank 2 or 3 times. This will keep the locking X in place until the wraps are locked. You have to do this by hand - your power wrapper was not designed to start the wrap. You still need to do that manually.

2. Taper the ends of the feet to a more shallow taper.

3. Before you pull the tie-off loop, pin the tag end with a thumb or finger at the point where it enters under the main wrap. Now when you pull it through, it won't unwind around the rod.

Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 07, 2011 06:01PM

Part of the problem is the pro wrap thread in my opinion. I just tried my 1st spool of it after having only used gudebrod before. I noticed the pro wrap has more memory...meaning the curls do not straighten out. Also, it is slicker. My guides under the overwraps slide around very easily. I have found it harder to work with for those reasons and the tag ends do not pull through as easily because of the curls tending to bind up as the pull through area

When you start your wrap remember after you bring the 1st wrap around manually to cross the wrap end over the tag end so it buckles down on top of the thread and holds it in place after 2-3 turns

I have also found that when starting or finishing my wraps that if I wet my finger with my tongue it gives me a little more grip on holding the thread down in place

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2011 06:18PM

Larry,
A couple of things.
Even though I have wrapped many many rods, I still prefer to tape down the loose end of thread when starting a wrap. That way, never an issue with the thread coming loose. I generally get 6-8 wraps around the thread, before I take the end free and tighten up the initial wraps. The more slippery the thread, the more wraps that I will do on my initial wraps to hold the thread tag ends.

1. I also use a 1 inch wide belt sander with 150 grit sanding belt - to thin down the end of the rod guide. I make a uniform taper from the tip of the guide to the upright portion of the guide foot. I taper it enough so that the end is essentially sharp. Then, the thread runs right up the thread.

2. When doing thread pulls, I make thread pulls from 10 lb super braid line. I put a bead in the thread pull to help see it, and to also act as an handle when doing the thread pull.

3. Curls and line twists tend to be worse when you wrap in one direction, compared to the other direction. As a result, I take a piece of thin piano wire and put a long taper on it to a needle point. I always keep it handy when I am doing my wraps.
I will always take every wrap, insert the wire into the loose end of the wrap before starting the pull to get rid of all of the twists and curls in the thread. Then, a quick steady pull on the thread, and the line pulls through very nicely. If you don't have any twists in the thread, there are almost never any issues with thread binding in the thread wraps.

4. Metallic thread tends to be much much harder to wrap. It tends to be slippier, and it can also tend to come apart - depending on the brand metallic thread.
If you could possibly switch to a non metallic thread for your first few rods, until you get more wrapping under your belt, I think you would be much happier.
Also, if you could pick up some Gudebrod, Fishhawk, or Pac Bay thread for your first wraps, I think you will also find that these threads are much easier to work with as well.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns4.bat.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 07, 2011 07:10PM

Larry,

I am only a beginner myself, but I have found too that when starting the wrap, it really helps to stick the tag end onto the blank with masking tape, a couple of inches along from where you want to start the wrap. Then you can easily rotate the rod using both hands, to cross over the thread and make it secure.

I have found that the online video clips on the Mudhole site - "rodbuilding 101" are really useful for learning the basic techniques. Its really watching these a few times over, if you haven't already done so.

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 07, 2011 07:26PM

I would suggest maybe using a not metallic thread for the first few rods till you get the hang of it. that stuff is a little more tricky to use. and the tension makes a big difference.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.14.89.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 07, 2011 08:52PM

The good news is that all of this gets much easier with practice. I had issues with all of these things when I started. Now, I can pretty much do a guidewrap with my eyes closed.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2011 06:27AM

Larry,

When I started building rods I bought Tom Kirkman's Rod Building Guide.

Then I subscribed to RodMaker Magazine.

Later I started adding books to what has become a nice library on rod building and fishing.

The books, along with my collection of RodMaker Magazines, add greatly to my knowledge and enjoyment.

I am happy to encourage you to do the same.

Good luck to you.

Dave Gilberg

Date: April 09, 2011 06:03PM

thanks guys for all this excellent advice, will order Tom's book and some non-metallic thread if i can't make the stuff i have work out . I had to take my mother to the hospital the same day i posted this and have not had time to try again to get this blank wrapped,, she is doing fine now so i will try tonight . Again thanks to all of you

Date: April 13, 2011 12:56AM

larry pilgrim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks guys for all this excellent advice, will
> order Tom's book and some non-metallic thread if
> i can't make the stuff i have work out . I had to
> take my mother to the hospital the same day i
> posted this and have not had time to try again to
> get this blank wrapped,, she is doing fine now so
> i will try tonight . Again thanks to all of you

i just took the belt off the power wrapper and wrapped a few guides manually , still had minor problems starting up the guide foot but overall it went quiet well , but kind of an expensive manual wrapper , i think with more practice and help from the people here i will be able to use the power wrapper option soon , think most of my problems are thread tension related and guide prep

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster