I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Seat up or seat down
Posted by: Rob Savino (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 08:30PM

On a spinning rod. Do you face the reel seat with the threads to the tip up or to the butt down?
Rob

Boston, MA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seat up or seat down
Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 08:32PM

Threads on top, makes a nice transition from the rear grip. It's more comfortable than your hands resting on the threads in my opinion.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: April 05, 2011 08:39PM

We just had this same question less than a week ago ... [rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 09:31PM

I like my threads towards the tip for the reason Kevin mentioned.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 10:41PM

Rob
It is really your choice.

Slip the reel seat on the rod blank and hold it in place wiht a bit of tape. Test it - with threads up or threads down. Check the feel and fit, and use the orientation that best suits you and your style of fishing.

If you are using built up handles and fore grip, you can go ahead and ream out the butt grip and the foregrip to match the reel seat. Then, also ream the plastic arbor to match the blank at the installation point.

Now with the rear grip in place, slip the reel seat in place - testing both ways, and then slip the fore grip in place.

The testing will give you a more realistic feel for the completed rod, if you do the testing with the completed rear and front grip.

good luck
Roger

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns4.bat.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 06, 2011 05:07AM

I've just built my first two spinning rods and it turned out that one was uplocking and the other down locking.

The first was a 6'0" spinning rod, with a 4 inch rear grip and intended for a 1500 size reel. Without thinking too much about it, I built it with the reel seat as uplocking. It feels good and its proven to be a good choice

The second rod was 6'6" with a 7 inch rear grip and intended for a 2500 size reel. I decided to try a dry test run with the reel seat in both directions with the reel screwed in placed and the fore and rear grips in place. Funnily, it just felt a lot better with the reel seat as down locking and the whole outfit felt a lot more balanced in the hand.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 11:41PM

If you build it so there is no exposed thread, like if you use the Fuji KDPS, it won't make a difference which way you mount it - especially if you build the fore and butt grips to match each other.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster