I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral to not to spiral that is the question??
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 07:58PM

I am building a pair of Mag Bass MHX 843 blanks. Question is should I spiral wrap? If so does somebody have an idea on spacing? I have only spiraled one rod a 10' salmon rod and it took me forever to get the spacing correct. Thanks guys.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral to not to spiral that is the question??
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 08:09PM

Eric,
I think it really depends on how the rods are going to be used.
For example if the rods are going to be used for fishing jerk baits, which is a tip down jerk style fishing I would suggest that you use a conventional wrap.

But, if you are fising with a top up style so the bulk of your fishing will be lifting the tip, rathern then pushing the tip down - the spiral wrap should be just fine.

With respect to spacing. Start with the same spacing as if you were using a conventional wrap and then adjust from there. Either add or subtract guides and adjust guide orientation and up and down the rod to keep the rod properly loaded during both the cast, retreive, as well as fighting a fish.

Good luck
Roger

Date: April 05, 2011 08:51PM

Sorry the rods will be used for spinner baits, working plastic, jigs.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 08:54PM

Roger,
What is the reasoning behind an on top build for tip down?

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2011 10:01PM

Eric,

I'll have several spiraled rods at the gathering. If you want, we can discuss the couple of methods I've used and the details of how/why I do it. It will be a little easier with the rods in hand. Basically, I rely on the static test to tell me where to put the guides, and spiral around the blank more slowly than some methods. The resulting rod will have some torque in the butt section, but on bass rods, it isn't that big of a deal.

You could spiral one and not the other, then you will be able to make some great comparisons for yourself.

Thomas,

Where does the line spend most of its time when the rod tip is pointing down and towards the lure? Where does it spend most of its time during a tip up presentation, i.e. T-rig or skirted jig?

Joe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 10:46PM

Thomas,
I am suggesting this, because this is what my clients have requrested of me when I build their rods.

i.e. I made the mistake of assuming that all of the rods would be used for the same application, and was asked to rewrap several spiral wrapped rods, because the users found that the spiral wrapped rods simply didn't satisfy - their - particular needs for a rod.

However, when I switched these rods to a conventional wrap, they were very satisfied with the blank and overall build of the rod.

Conversely, for the spiral wrapped rods, when used for tip up fishing, these clients were also very pleased.

Never assume that you know best. Be sure to discuss the needs and wishes of the client, and the potential uses for the rod, before finalizing the build order.

p.s.
It is not the fact that the spiral wrapped rods did not work just fine. They did. It is not the fact that the conventional wrapped guides did not work fine - they did.

It was a matter of personal preference of the users, who found that when using tip down fishing techniques, they liked to see the guides and line coming off of the top of the rod.

Roger

Date: April 06, 2011 07:20AM

Sounds good Joe. I will take you up on the offer! See you Saturday.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 09:00AM

When you are using the rod with the tip down you most likely are retreiving the lure on a tight line. So as you retreive, the line will only hit the guides so there is not a chance of the wet line hanging on the blank. WIth the tip up, the retreive is mostly with slack line, so with the rod spiral wrapped, again the line will be hitting only the guides during the retreive. Taking out one thing that could cause you not to feel the bite as well.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: April 06, 2011 11:04AM

thanks guys, was only looking to further expand my understanding!! Great explanations.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster