I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

IGFA regulation blanks?
Posted by: Garrett Adams (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 03:12PM

This is probably a stupid question (no such thing though right?) but.....

Whats the deal with these? I did a search and as I understand they a suited for fighting chair applications..... is that right?

So, what would be the difference between a seeker IGFA80 and a seeker TS55XXH other than 3" in length and tip size? Is it more or less the action?

Just something that has always bothered me.

THANKS
Garrett

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IGFA regulation blanks?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: April 05, 2011 03:20PM

In general IFGA blanks are slower in action. They tend to be rather heavy, often with solid glass tips and sometimes all solid glass. They are very rugged. They are pretty much unbreakable.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: April 05, 2011 03:37PM

good to know.

Thank you sir!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 04:29PM

I was lead to believe that the rods will pass the guidelines for IGFA recognition for record offshore game fish. It is also a standard that large tournaments use to keep things equal and keep the fish from being stressed too much in release situations.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2011 04:40PM

The first fish hooks fashioned by man were circle hooks. Circle hooks have been around for hundreds of thousands of years (No offense to conflicting religious doctrines) . IGFA elders suspended their "circle hook only" rule for a year - either to allow extremely slow learners how to use a circle hooks, or to pander to a North Carolina tournament. (Incidentally, it is very difficult to deliberately foul hook fish using circle hooks.)
It makes you wonder about the reasoning behind IGFA regulations about everything, including rods?

Date: April 05, 2011 04:59PM

Fred Yarmolowicz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was lead to believe that the rods will pass the
> guidelines for IGFA recognition for record
> offshore game fish. It is also a standard that
> large tournaments use to keep things equal and
> keep the fish from being stressed too much in
> release situations.

Just like IGFA approved line (makes sense) But a rod to pass IGFA specs. seems silly, but does not suprise me.
Why don't they have IGFA approved reels? may be they do..... never seen one though

THANKS
Garrett

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 05:09PM

I know there is a length spec. I'm sure someone very familiar lurks here and will have a clearer explanation

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2011 05:26PM

All the specs for those type rods, minimum and maximum, are in the Volume 5 #6 RodMaker.

Generally, rods labeled as being IGFA Class trolling rods are intended for use from a chair. Most would be too long to be effectively utilized in a stand-up type situation.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 10:22PM

From theIGFA web site.

1. Rods must comply with sporting ethics and customs. Considerable latitude is allowed in the choice of a rod, but rods giving the angler an unfair advantage will be disqualified. This rule is intended to eliminate the use of unconventional rods.

2. The rod tip must be a minimum of 40 inches (101.6 cm) in length. The rod butt cannot exceed 27 inches (68.58 cm) in length. These measurements must be made from a point directly beneath the center of the reel. A curved butt is measured in a straight line. When the rod butt is placed in a gimbal, the measurement from the center of the reel seat to the pivot point of the gimbal can be no more than 27 inches. (The above measurements do not apply to surfcasting rods.)

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster