I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide spacing on extra fast action blank
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: April 05, 2011 10:56AM

I am working on a new project with a Croix LES63MXF blank. This is my first extra fast action blank and I am wondering if there are any guide spacing tips anyone has with this type action? It seems to me the first couple of guides would need to be a little closer together since there is a lot of bend in the first 8-10 inches. I plan to use micros for the top running guides and using the X standard (is it 27X I do not have my notes?) for the intersect guide which will be pretty close to the tip on a 6'3" blank. Probably a total of 7 guides plus tip. This is a medium power spin rod for 6-8 pound line and mostly 1/8 to 5/16 ounce jigs and plastics and maybe some dropshotting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide spacing on extra fast action blank
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 11:02AM

If you're using a 'bass' sized spinning reel, your choker will be pretty close to the tip on that rod. Seven guides sounds about right. On X-fast blanks like that, I usually have my 1st guide at around 3.5" from the tiptop.

jeremy

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 12:20PM

Bill
I have built several of these rods, and whether it is built as a spinning or a casting rod, I think that the spacing is something like this
tip, 3 inches, 3, inches, 3 1/2 inches, 4 inches for the first 4 guides to get around the corner. You are right - this rod has an exceptionally fast tip and I agree that the tip guides need to be pretty closely spaced to correctly load the fast tip.

Take care
Roger

Date: April 05, 2011 12:49PM

Thanks guys I will set it up as suggested! Yes it will have a "2500" sized reel, Shamino to start so I plan to set it with an intersect somewhere between a Daiwa and Shimano 2500 spool diameter. I used that setup on a 7' ML Croix and it is the best casting spinning rod I have! I have mini guides on it too and it appears to me the combo of the guides and spacing is just "right on".

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 09:45AM

Bill Tune your post brings to light a very interesting subject.

Important on extra fast blanks.

Does the convention of progressive guide spacing, i.e., increasing distance for guide spacing the furthur you get from the tip, lead builders to using more guides than necessary?

Do we place guides where they belong or where they "look right"!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2011 11:37AM

Bill,
You do bring up a good point.
Basically - dealing with your very question, I have been wrapping some very fast action blanks recently where the first guide will be 4 inches from the tip, but the next two guides will only be 3 inches apart, and then the 3rd guide will be 4 1/2 inche from that.

In prior years, I would likely have placed an extra unneeded guide near the tip, just to make the rod look right. This issue seems to come up more often when you work with very fast blanks where the first few inches is actually stiffer than the location further up the blank.

Roger

Date: April 06, 2011 02:10PM

What is the saying - if it looks right...? I agree that is not allways the case and that is why I tape them on and adjust spacing based on stress tasting. I know most blanks will flatten out at the tip when stressed making guides at the tip much less important. The extra fast tip may change that but I will wait and see how it reacts to loads. Maybe some have already done testing and know, will the extra fast tip section flatten out under load as well? I try to protect the blank at the hinge point to avoid large angles between the guides and humps in the blank.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.143.---)
Date: April 10, 2011 12:23PM

I just set up an X-fast casting rod on the Rainshadow XSB802.75 just this AM. 3mm micros for most of the length, I ended up 3 inches apart for the first 4, then started opening it up progressively. It looks good, will test cast when the wind goes down. I used the method Tom Kirkman has published using two lines, one to the tip to load the rod, and one to the reel with just a little tension on it to see what the line will look like going through the guides with the blank loaded by the line to the tip. I get line touch to the blank when stressed (guides on top), but no crossover, and the angles all look good.

If anyone has a better plan for this blank, I'm all ears. this is my first micro casting rod.

There is no recipe on the Rainshadow site, but similar blanks with conventional guides show 4 " from the last guide to the tiptop.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster