I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

madeira
Posted by: kevin holzhauer (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2011 06:46PM

wats up guys...i started using madeira thread on my rod wraps jus a quick question ...is the madeira too weak wrap the guide itself...as i was doin under wraps a fews times i got hung up pullin tabs thru an it snapped very easily ...should i avoid wrapping the guides themselves in madeira

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: madeira
Posted by: Harold Dean (---.client.eng.telusmobility.com)
Date: April 04, 2011 08:34PM

I use Madeira on my guides all the time and too date have never had any issues.

Harold

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 04, 2011 08:36PM

I use Madeira on 90% of all my wraps (including guides) and have never had any problems, even on salmon rods. Just guessing, but if you're snapping thread from pulling tie offd through it, you MAY be wrapping to tight. Can you move/adjust your guide after wrapping

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2011 09:51PM

its harder because it stretches, you have to use color preserver, and it has a lubricant on it. but you can wrap, but test it yourself first. thats what everybody does. do what you normally do on guide wraps on the madeira, then adjust to it

good luck

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns10.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 04, 2011 10:16PM

Hi Kevin,
I've been using Madeira on all my rods, including guides, for the last 4-5 years and haven't had any problems either. I use a bit more tension than I used to use to overcome the stretch but I've never broken any inadvertantly. What sought of madeira are you using, polyneon 40 or 60. I use the 40 and it is just a bit thinner than A thread. The 60 is thinner still and would break easier. What are you using for a pull through?
ESFNEM Col

Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 04, 2011 10:34PM

Interesting replies so far. I never use madeira on my guide wraps. Then again I build mostly surf rods for large game

I suppose until you try it then how do you know

Posted by: kevin holzhauer (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: April 04, 2011 10:58PM

THANX GUYS ..ILL GIVE IT A SHOT..

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 01:25AM

i have just used madeira on my tiger wrap and didn't put no pc on the wrap, it still came out really good, there was no change in the thread , i used the sapphire blue color and it came out the color it was supposed to, when i remembered that i didn't use cp, i thought that maybe it would not come out as good as it did. but it turned out really good/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster