I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

extending a solid glass blank??
Posted by: Garrett Adams (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 04, 2011 02:41PM

Hey guys and gals
My computer has been on the frits and i am responding to my post from early march about 8' solid glass HEAVY (100lb line) blank. I just e-mailed baston about how / where to buy their 6' - 60-100lb line solid glass blank. If i can extend the handel 18" that would work great.

so.... what is a rock solid way to extend the blank in the handel?

I would like to make a finished product from 7' 6" to 8'

spinning rod. so aluminum "trolling blanks" are out of the question.
roughly 18" from the butt to the center of the reel foot.

Can i slide the the butt section of a e-glass blank over the end of the solid glass blank? If so how much over lap should i use?

Thanks for your help. This is my first try at doing this!

Garrett

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: extending a solid glass blank??
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2011 02:59PM

Garrett,
If you can find a blank that is heavy enough to take the stress of taking the stress of this rod, I would overlap the blank be at least 10 inches.
You are going to have the reel seat right at the end of the blank.
Then, whenever you have the butt of the rod braced for a pull, virtually all of the pulling force of the rod, will be trying to snap it into two pieces right at the splice point.

For that size blank, I would think that you would be wanting to use an e-glass blank that would have a wall thickness somewhere around 1/8th or so. I think that if you picked up an e-glass blank piece that was cut from an e-glass blank that had a 100lb line rating you should be all right.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns10.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 04, 2011 06:24PM

Hi Garrett,
Another option is to use a piece of thick walled aluminium tube. As Roger says your reelseat is going to be right at the end of the blank so you need a lot of overlap. You could use a 14 " tapered foregrip and overlap the tube to the end of that. The end can be finished with a winding check. You may have to build up the blank with some thread, depending on the amount of taper you've got, so you get a a snug fit the entire length of the overlap. Be sure and use plenty of tension on the thread you use for this. Don't forget to scuff the blank before you put thread on it and use the best epoxy you can get. A 100lb solid glass blank is not going to bend much near the butt end so you probably won't affect the action a great deal. I've done this a couple of times and it worked fine but i'm only using 15 and 20lb braid on those rods.
ESFNEM Col

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 07:55AM

The gorilla and gator blanks may be a good place to start looking [www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Garrett Adams (---.17.212.134.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 10:17AM

thanks guys

I'm going to shoot for a 12-14" overlap and hide it with the fore grip and a winding check.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 12:34PM

Garrett,
As long as you indicated that you were going to call batson for the solid blank, perhaps you could have Batson ship an appropriate e-glass blank with the solid blank for an extension.
I am sure that there is plenty of scrap on the factory floor, or possible returns with a broken tip that might have the right size butt might be the right match for your solid blank.

Good luck
REW

Posted by: Garrett Adams (---.17.212.134.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 01:05PM

Excellent idea Roger!!
THANKS

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster