I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat off center
Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2011 11:43AM

Has anyone had the experience of heating an aluminum reel seat to adjust it slightly after it has been put on the blank with rod bond? I know hot water is not effective. And if it can be heated to move it slightly, does the rod bond set up inside again and retain its strength? Thanks for any help.
Sanford Hochman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat off center
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2011 01:26PM

Sanford,
Heat - of various temperatures tend to soften epoxy.
The real question for your use, is that if the epoxy gets soft, and if you break the bond by twisting the reel seat, does the reel seat move.

If you have the reel seat in place, and if your guides are wrapped and coated, and if your reel does not line up with the guides, you very best option is to cut the guides and tip off of the rod, clean up the blank and rewrap.

I suspect that you are headed for head aches if you try to heat and adjust the reel seat.

I am sure that if you put a torch on the reel seat, you could loosen and twist the reel seat for adjustment. The thing that I am not sure is what your reel seat would look like after the reel seat has cooled, and also, if the bond of the seat would be secure to the blank.

Good luck and good wrapping.

Roger

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: April 04, 2011 02:27PM

It isn't hot melt glue. Once the bond is broken it is broken and will not reset. You could do what you have needs to be done to get it aligined. Then drill a few small holes in the reel seat where the reel will hide them, and inject a thin epoxy like West systems, and hope for the best.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Scott Sawa (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: April 04, 2011 02:29PM

At my work (machine shop) we have to heat plumbing faucets in need of repair that have been assembled using epoxy on the threads.
You have to heat it to the point where it is smoking to get it to release it's bond. You won't like the smell :(
At this point, it is burnt and will not rebond with the same strength.
IMO, you would have to completely remove it, clean the ID of the reel seat and the blank of old epoxy and then reglue.

Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2011 03:33PM

Thanks Guys,
I have given all that thought, but sometimes we hope someone comes up with a good answer. I suspect I will just redo the guides although the reel seat is almost imperceptibly off center, but I know it even though it wouldn't affect the fishing. I will just cry a little as I cut off the guides.
Sanford

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2011 06:33PM

Sanford,
Just look at this as an opportunity to practice your guide wrapping techniques.
Also, if you had any second thoughts about guide choices, or thread colors or trim wraps, you could now change with no issue.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster