I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish Between Split Grips - Winding Checks or Just Finish
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 12:49PM

Just wondering what most of you guys do for finishing between split grips. Do you use a winding check on each end of split grip, or just run the finish up to the grip?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish Between Split Grips - Winding Checks or Just Finish
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 12:57PM

Either way - winding checks or "ramp" with thread to give it a more finished look

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: March 30, 2011 12:57PM

Marc, I prefer a winding check or sometimes will use silver or gold chain (cheaper stuff works just fine), that I carefully cut and place with a little CA glue. I'm working on a 7'6" musky rod to donate to the Arbor Vitae-Woodruff Education Foundation fundraising event right now. It's a split grip and I put regular nurled nickel checks on, the wrapped a short run of black, followed by my trim colors of metallic red/silver/red. Looks sharp! I plan on putting quite a few coats of finish at each check to make a nice smooth transition up to the grip from the blank....

Hey - you are making quite a business for yourself around here - nicely done!!!

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 01:19PM

Great to hear from you Rich! I was wondering how you have been.

Take care - Marc

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: March 30, 2011 02:17PM

Nothing. No winding checks either.

I violate that though because I like to put my label in the split. I still won't finish the entire section though. No reason to add extra if not needed.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 03:46PM

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 03:46PM

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 04:01PM

usually like the guide wraps [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 07:06PM

One of the advantages of split grips is that it gives you room to do some neat decorating tricks. Since the blank is a big as it gets there, you may have room for a photo-they can look great. I've taken some pics of fish up close,and those fish that don't have a lot of silver in their skin color, like bluegills, perch, walleye, can make for some great decals for this area. If nothing else, there is room for a custom decal with info on the date of build, the builder's name, the name of the person for whom the build was made. It is a great opportunity, don't waste it.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 07:19PM

I recently did a split grip and I did a tiger wrap on it. I bought some red winding checks from Jann's Netcraft that I used on each end of the tiger wrap and glued them to the cork with CA glue.

Posted by: Gene Rehberg (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 31, 2011 03:33PM

I also did a tiger wrap on a split grip............turned out very nice.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: April 01, 2011 07:17AM

With rubberized cork its easy to get the hole in the grip so clean that you don't need anything.

Nothing
Thread wrap
Winding check
Winding check and thread wrap

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Matthew Elrod (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 03, 2011 02:20AM

My rationale for winding checks in split grips is a bit different. I normally choose to go with split grips, b/c I think it looks better. But, the downside is you lose a little weight in the butt of the rod to help balance the rod. So, I use larger checks and generally finish the whole section b/c that is where I place rod specs or other custom points. Just my two cents...

Matthew Elrod
www.ElrodCustomRods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster