I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Perch jerking
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 10:37AM

I was just asked about building a rod for perch jerking on Lake Erie. I have never fished for Perch. What does it take for a good rod? My guess would be about a 7` med. I hate to bother the sponsors as I may have it in inventory.

Thanks,

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Perch jerking
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: March 29, 2011 11:00AM

I have used 6ft med action in the 4-8lb range. Some guys have asked me for shorter ones like 5'.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.bnl.gov)
Date: March 29, 2011 11:03AM

Bill,

I've only gone out on Erie a time or two for perch, so my ideas may be off just a bit. They way we did it was essentially fishing a drop shot rig with a fairly heavy weight (more weight than I would have chose, but the charter captain had us rigged and ready) and live bait. Others fish with crappie spreader rigs and such. When you are fishing over 30+ feet of water, there isn't a whole lot of need to cast. The weight rating becomes less critical. I would would probably look at a 1 (1/16-5/16) or 2 (1/8-3/8) power spin jig in 6'6"-7' type of blank for this sort of fishing. The blank will be limber enough to enjoy the fight of the perch, but have enough backbone to handle dropping heavier weights and hook the fish in deep water.

If the build can wait a bit, I have a rod built on a Bastson ISJ 781 that I can bring to the ORB Gathering.

Joe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 11:33AM

I agree with the posts about Perch jerking.
I think that a 6' to 6'6" medium action rod is perfect for this action.
The reason for the medium, rather than a lighter rod, is that Perch jerking is normally done with a fair amount of weight. i.e. 1/4 to 1/2 oz of weight. They do this to get the wieght down very quickly and JERK, another fish back on board. It would be nice to have a rod with an extra fast tip.

The St. Croix SCIII casting blank that is 6'10" m-l runs a bit on the more powerful side but the tip is one of the fastest rod tips in the industry and if left either at the 6'10" or trimmed to a shorter length would be about as an ideal blank that you could want.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 04:11PM

MHX SJ781! Best perch rod I've built. Very light weight, light enough tip to detect they "shy" bites, and enough backbone to handle the sheephead when they decide to take the bait. I built mine as a spiral wrapped baitcaster and its great. I use a baitcaster with a flipping switch to just allow to bait to fall to the bottom. Add some 10 lb braid and your good to go. Im sure it would work great as a spinning rod as well.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2011 02:44AM

Mitch,
I like your idea to use this rod as a bait caster. A great choice for any type of over the side fairly heavy weight fishing.
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster