I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heavy duty hook keeper
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2011 06:13PM

If you haven't tried it before, use a larger heavy wire snake fly guide as a hook keeper for some of your heavier action rods. The design of these snake guides, as well as the heavier wire, make a nice sturdy attractive hook keeper for those rods that use the big heavy hooks that tend to tear up the lighter more conventional hook keepers.

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heavy duty hook keeper
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 28, 2011 06:49PM

Fly guides have been used as hookkeepers for years. As for being used on heavy duty saltwater rods, well they'll disintegrate and break off from the salt in no time.

Lance

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 28, 2011 07:35PM

I use RECoil RSFX guides for hook keepers on inshore rods ... speckled trout to tarpon. They won't corrode AND the flexibility seems to help in keeping them around longer. I do a locking wrap AND extend the blocking wrap a full inch to help protect the blank against hook damage.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2011 08:31PM

For salt you can use Ti guides. Take the ring out or leave it in ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sub-174-253-98.myvzw.com)
Date: March 28, 2011 11:18PM

REC makes a recoil hook keeper. Guides used as hook keepers look silly in my opinion. I make most of my hook keepers now. I have titanium, nickel silver, stainless, and bronze wire in both round and square profiles. The square looks really nice if you twist it. Kinda like a rope. All you need to do is wrap the wire one compete turn around a small drill bit then shape the foot. Makes a hook keeper that is plenty strong and very nice looking.

Lane

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2011 11:41AM

Wrapping your leader behind your reel spool and securing your fly in the leg of your first stripping guide is a better alternative to a hook keeper. That way you keep the nail knot or loop on the end of your fly line out of the guides, enabling you to quickly fire the perfect cast to the big one who just appeared - without having to futz around shaking your line-leader connection out of your guide train.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 01:03PM

Phil,
Actually, your idea is a good one, if the rod is the only one being stored.

But, if your rod is in a rod locker or is simply lying next to a bunch of other rods on the deck of a boat, this is not necessarily the best idea.

The reason is that the hook is 2-3 feet in front of the handle. If there are several other rods in the same area, it is very easy to have the hooks tangle, due to the close proximity.

But, if the keeper is next to the handle or butt of the rod, then, the thickness of the handle and the reel itself tends to keep the rods and thus the hooks separated and away from tangling.

There is nothing worse than grapping a rod from the rod box, a couple of feet up from the handle and having a hook jab into your hand.

Roger

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 03, 2011 05:13PM

Fly guides work great, and as Bill said, Ti will work well in salt as will 316 stainless, although Ti is better. Yes, Bill, leave the ring in.

In fresh water I've never failed a fly guide hook keeper frame or ring and no rings have come out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster