I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Photographing Rods
Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2011 12:07PM

Any one who is taking photos of your work and getting great results with your photos. What are you using for a camera and lens? I'm now at the stage where I need to start showing my work on more than a local scale. Thanks for any recommendations or suggestions. Just getting some ideas before I go shopping locally.

Dave Loren
Warren,RI

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Photographing Rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2011 12:11PM

Don't waste money on super high megapixel cameras. Unless you're going to be blowing the photos up to very large sizes, say larger than 10x14 inches, anything in the 6 to 10 megapixel range will be more than enough.

However, you do want manual controls. Photographing rods is more of a studio endeavor. You'll need to learn the relationship between aperature/exposure/depth of field. Once you understand that and can control it manually, you'll be able to take great rod photos.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2011 12:39PM

Dave,
Also, due to the nature of the shape of rods. i.e. long and lean, so to speak. It is tought to get a rods detail in a complete picture.

Rather, you are likely better off to take multiple pictures of a rod, highlighting the work on the rod. i.e. a grip, a reel seat, a butt wrap, or a special decal.

Perhaps an overall shot of the rod with several detailed photos to highlight the rods great detail that you have completed on the rod.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 28, 2011 03:19PM

I have also been struggling with this.

I found some software called Photomix on the internet. It is used by scrapbookers to create scrapbooks and collages. I found it when I was trying to do a collage for my daughters wedding. It allows you to places photos anyway you want on a user defined space.

The software is available for as a free download , however if you want to save your work as a .jpg, tif,etc: you have to buy a license. I recall the license was about $30.00. I believe you can print from the .pmj file. I bought the license. It is actually kinda fun. I made a 20 x30 collage of pictures that I have taken of fish that that family and I have caught over the years. There are about 211 pictures in the collage. Note - I have no interest in the software, other than I have used it successfully.

Here is my cut at trying to get a couple of rod details on one picture. .

[www.rodbuilding.org]

You might give it a try.

Bert Nagy

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2011 04:13PM

Bert -
That came out darned good.

Posted by: Bob Mankin (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2011 08:31PM

Save yourself the money on software. Google's Picasa is a freebie download. While I've never done a collage until just now, it does have the capability. In this pic the center image is a background and the others are just randomly thrown in there. You can also set the background to something else, including solid colors.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 10:15AM

Bert good show!!

Picassa and Corel Draw will allow you to do almost anything for collages and labels.

Corel Draw provides the ability to use various file types including vector files with conversion to jpeg

Learn to use backgrounds and the possibilities are endless.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Roger I would be delighted to see close up photo shots of your new spinning rods using the Fuji K series guides. Please annotate the photos to describe your version of how guides are aligned using the spine. In this case a photo would be worth a thousand words.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2011 10:42AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.143.---)
Date: April 06, 2011 11:30AM

I have trouble getting even lighting (without shadows and highlights) -you guys seem to have mastered that. Any tips on lighting? I've found a couple of the headband LED lights to help, but am open to better ideas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster