I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

No Room for Hook Keeper
Posted by: Marc Wisniewski (99.13.220.---)
Date: March 26, 2011 02:44PM

Any ideas guys?

I am rebuilding an old Skyline spinning rod from the blank up for a guy. The whole thing was a disaster. Took off all the guides and handle. I had to take the new handle right up to the Skyline label (where it was previously) leaving no room for a hook keeper. This customer likes a hook keeper. Any ideas about either fitting a hook keeper in a very small space (1/8th inch) next to the winding check. Or, has anyone ever put one up the blank about 3" in front of the fore grip or would that interfere with the line coming off the reel.

Thanks,

Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No Room for Hook Keeper
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 26, 2011 03:28PM

Why not just get one of the removable Fuji "EZ Keeper" devices.

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (66.87.4.---)
Date: March 26, 2011 04:13PM

On a carrot stix some of ther rods have it on the reverse side right under the guide.

Posted by: Nathaniel Jablonski (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 05:23PM

Or you could try putting it on the top of the blank infront of the fore grip. Not sure if that'd be too aestethically pleasing though.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 06:20PM

Marc,
I have built quite a few rods, with the hook keeper several inches in front of the foregrip, because the customer did not want to ever have their fingers close to the hook keeper when fishing. It will be just fine if you want to put one there.

Of course the other option is to strip off the label, and just leave the rod without a label, or hand label the rod and put the hook keeper in a conventional location.
Then, a 3rd option is to put the hook keeper over the top of the label, if part of the label that would be covered by the hook keeper could be covered without loss of information. Sometimes commercial labels, have a significant space at the end that can be covered with no loss of information.

Good luck
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 06:33PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.yousq.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 07:08PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I built the hook keeper in the grip on this build.

Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 09:15PM

You could also relieve a portion of the foregrip and recess a very small magnet to be used a hook/lure holder. Mark's idea is far most attractive, though.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2011 10:18PM

Mount it a ways up the blank, at 270 degrees (same side as reel handle). It won't interfere with the line during a cast, and it's off on a square angle relative to your main sight line-I find it visually appealing

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2011 12:18AM

Greetings Marc,

I had posted the following a few years back (this method, definitely works well):
===================================================================
Re: Spinning Rods and Hookkeepers....
Posted by: Robert Marie (---.mo-stlouis0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 25, 2004 09:21AM

Greetings MaryLou,
I 'm not a pro at this but anyone can easily 'add' a hook-keeper ; use one of those modern great inventions 'the tie wrap'. If placed on the reel seat to the rear of 'the locking nut' it works quite well.

It is a good 'fix' when yours didnt have one. Of course, you'll want to trim the extra material 'away'.

Just like Sam, I build-in hook-keepers at the 8 o'clock position looking toward the tip.
The reel 'operates at the 6 o'clock position....right?

See ya,
Bob
===================================================================

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster