I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Guide Cable Ties
Posted by: Tony Scott (12.130.117.---)
Date: March 14, 2011 05:03PM

While they are called "Micro Guide" would these ties work for any guide feet on not-so-micro guides like 16 strippers through single foot 8's? I like cut sections of surgical tubing but sometimes I have to re-do a guide in between other guides and cannot slide the tubing sections down the blank. I really don't like using thin strips of tape.

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Guide Cable Ties
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 14, 2011 05:15PM

Some builders can not use them but I cut rubber bands and tie them on the blank. I can retie if one breaks and with the tip on

Good finger exercise LOL I can also move the guides around and adjust the spacing

You can also put Extra tube slices on the blank just in case one breaks ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: March 15, 2011 11:58AM

I use 4" Cable ties from Home Depot for the larger guides.

Posted by: paul e gourley (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 15, 2011 07:32PM

I use dental rubber bands they hold tight against the bliank are very strong and can be moved and used over again. They are also very inexspensive. If you dont know a dentist or dont know where to get them i usually find them on @#$%&.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 09:24AM

Biggest problem I have with micros is finding them if I drop them. Solution: brightly colored very small cable ties, cut about 1 inch and stick it into the ring, usually fits ok. When I drop them I can find the bright piece of cable tie.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 01:30PM

Michael,
The simple solution to this issue is to cover your current floor with a solid white covering.
Then, even the smallest things really pop on the floor.
Or course, you have to wash the floor every 15 minutes to keep the floor clean and white, so that you can see a dark micro on a white background.

Good luck with your new floor.

Roger

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2011 02:12AM

Heya Fellas,

I have seen many posts on what everyone is doing to solve there issues with using Micro guides and getting them on the blank for static testing or just getting them on there for what ever intended purpose they want. I was just hard pressed to find something from those suggestions which included rubber bands, tape,wire, dental rubber bands, surgical rubber, glue (temp), just about everything I mentioned has been suggested. Trying to keep this short winded here LOL.

There are several issues that came along with that list above from getting tape to stay stuck, finding dental offices willing to let go of there little rubber bands, to keeping tension on standard rubber bands, the list goes on. Now to the best part !
My daughter was doing here hair in the living room and low and behold it was ponytail day ! and guess what ? she was using a special clear elastic type rubber band (Clear) and transparent. I said ; Hey! let me see those thingys! Then Were did you get them ? and then tested them on the smallest guide on an blank ! #4 micro over night to see if it would hold on for that long ! Well I can buy these baby's in the ladies section of your local Rite Aid or personal care section of stores. I don't use anything else ! They work on all guides to static test even a casting test ! and go straight to wrapping! I put allot of time into solving this problem and find a good working solution! If asked I can and will post picks of the set up with these babies in use. The cost $1.50 for a good 200 of them or so and I just cut em and toss them as I wrap. End of story and my secrete (if its a secrete ) Good luck and enjoy ! very tired....just got off the river from an all day Salmon trip! and No hits :(

Ok here are the pics

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 01:25PM by Rick Heil.

Posted by: Tony Scott (74.116.156.---)
Date: March 21, 2011 01:13PM

Thanks all who responded

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster