I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

will it hold up
Posted by: David Teague (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 09:16PM

hey guys, I've been looking at fishing sites and came across a builder, from the posts I've seen he's come up with some pretty wild and creative builds. His latest creation utilizes an elk antler as a curved butt...I never seen anything like it...gives me many ideas...but am wondering how it would hold up under fishing conditions. to me its seems cool but not practical. what do ya'll think? any thoughts? how about posting different matierals used and how it worked out

Dave

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 01:56AM by David Teague.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: will it hold up
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 10:24PM

lmao

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 10:30PM

Sort of like the baby alligator grips on another site..

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: March 12, 2011 10:41PM

LOL..never thought of that one...think its the same guy...before this goes any further...It is not my intention on bashing anyone.. just curious on the different things ya'll have tried on different parts of the rod and how they worked out

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 10:56PM by David Teague.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2011 11:10PM

At the show Mark Crouse's class introduces some different building materials. One of them was the use of antlers for reel seats. I really enjoyed it. Don't know about the whole butt though.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: kevin knox (---.sub-75-200-254.myvzw.com)
Date: March 13, 2011 08:38AM

Ugh....

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 08:54AM

Yes, same builder......crocodile, alligator, rattle snake (fangs toward hand), marbling in blobs, lots of thread epoxy. Interesting, artistic stuff - not to my liking.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.yousq.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 10:01AM

Dave, antler is a lot like wood it has a grain and if oriented correctly is very strong. However the weakest part of the build is where the antler is bored for the blank to be received, it creates a fulcrum and adds leverage at the point the blank and reel seat connect. If it's reinforced with a metal collar it would add strength and improve the connection, however this would be the point I would be concerned with.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2011 10:11AM

The materials themselves are not suspect - they held up fine on the animals they came off of and through some pretty tough conditions. However, how a rod builder utilizes them and attaches them to the rod is a different story.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2011 10:37AM

There are a couple of rods on the marke that use a bent grip to make for a more comfortable long term use of the rod. They have actually be well received and the best grip does help to relieve fatigue during long casting days on the water.
But, as Tom and others suggested, it is up to the builder to insure a secure connection between the end of the grip and the end of the blank. It can easily be done. It just has to be done correctly for a secure connection.

Roger

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2011 01:46PM

ahahha look at this! we had a discussion about this. its very funny.
scroll down a little bit, and then flip through the next pages.

[stripersonline.com]

By the way, i hope Tom and everyone else doesn't mind me putting this up. Its just that i saw this like 2 days ago and thought the same thing as David.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 01:49PM by Gabe Nakash.

Date: March 13, 2011 03:05PM

Ok guys come back to the orignal thread... though funny...I am interested in ONLY hearing about things ya'll have tried on your rods..I've seen feather inlays...coins..wood inserts...wood butts, ivory skrimshaw and an now full antler curved butt...what else have ya'll tried and how did it work out??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 03:06PM by David Teague.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2011 09:14PM

look at the link i posted and start from the beginning to end. there are some interesting stuff.

Date: March 14, 2011 06:21PM

Sorry Gabe...I thought it was a different post and you're right...some good looking grips in there...Billy Vivona...hats off to you brother....great stuff you posted...was cool to see how you progressed from when you started the grip madness to now.

Dave
URC rods

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2011 03:30PM

Well Now that you mention it !

I was out Salmon fishing two weeks ago, had a friend anchor next to us. We were talking rods at the time and he puled out this rod. Now me being interested in rods noticed right away it was a custom built rod. The real-seat was a casting setup in a single trigger Fuji design. What the builder did was incorporate a trigger attachment made of an antler horn. Very slick on how it was made and the trigger extension was part of what looked like the eye guard of the antler horn. Was built on a Loomis blank, said he picked it up at an Expo show here in Oregon a few years back.

Now My brothers is bugging me about this sort of stuff .....I said ...................Don't get you pants in an uproar fella! I'm Not cutting up our horns for trial and error to get that to work LOL .....lets stick to what were doing now! and will see !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sip.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 16, 2011 06:27PM

At some point your own common sense should come into play.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster